Tweaked Mayfest could appeal to all of SU

A curious thing happened Tuesday: Most classes were canceled for Mayfest and a massive block party was held on Euclid.

Mayfest meant class presentations, physics demonstrations and a different perspective on what we learn at college. The block party meant drinking, fun and tension with the police. But the interesting thing is that each represents an opposite facet of higher education. Next year, if the school gets more involved and unites these two disparate elements, Mayfest could become a tradition that people look forward to every year.

When word spread about the plan to host an enormous gathering on every front lawn along Euclid Avenue, there was an immediate increase in tension. The last time there was a student block party, things didn’t end well, and the day was remembered for the riots of ‘Livingstock.’ This time, no formal permit for a block party was issued, and the campus held its breath as police rolled up with the paddy-wagon just in case things went 1999.

The school needs to find a way to team up with the block party. A start would be obtaining a permit for a neighboring street. In that area, a registered student organization could host some live music; nothing big and glitzy would be necessary. Heck, maybe Mayfest could coincide with the big concert held every spring courtesy of University Union. What was that called again?

But Mayfest shouldn’t just devolve into a campus-wide lazy booze cruise. I actually had a good time listening to my roommate present his thesis and seeing presentations in the Carrier Dome. It reminded me that at college, sometimes research is done to discover new things, instead of merely being an evaluation tool.

In addition to no classes, the block party and the concerts, Mayfest could be an opportunity for thesis candidates to show off their work to a greater sampling of the campus community. Also, imagine the collective relief of hard-working seniors who can celebrate the completion of their academic experience at the block party.

This is the second year that Mayfest hasn’t actually taken place in May, but the school shouldn’t be tempted to change the name. It’s quirky this way and gives meaning to the day beyond its occurrence on the calendar.

Since Mayfest could shape up to be a new tradition, this could also be a prime time to facilitate some of the other new traditions that have arisen in recent years. Imagine how easy it would be to remember when to tie a wish around the trees in the Orange Grove.

There’s something cool when an institution collectively decides to have fun, and I liken it to the excitement surrounding orientation. Mayfest could be fun for everyone, but it would sure make a dynamite send-off for seniors.

Ben Peskin is a featured columnist whose columns appear Thursdays in The Daily Orange. E-mail him at [email protected].