FBALL : Jackson, Smith picked on 2nd day of NFL Draft

As expected, Syracuse had two players selected in this weekend’s NFL Draft, Tanard Jackson and Kelvin Smith. Here’s a recap of their weekend:

Who: Tanard JacksonWhere: Tampa Bay BuccaneersWhen: 4th round; 7th pick (No. 106 overall)

The skinny: Jackson entered the weekend looking like a surefire first-day pick, meaning he’d go in the first three rounds. That never happened. When safeties like Boise State’s Gerald Alexander and Oregon State’s Sabby Piscitelli snuck into the second round, Jackson was bumped. But the SU senior ended up in a situation that fits him well. The Buccaneers coached Jackson at the Senior Bowl and were the ones to orchestrate his move from cornerback to safety.

What’s being said: ‘We had the opportunity to coach the Senior Bowl and we moved him (to safety) at the Senior Bowl. He did a great job. He has some position flexibility, which is really good.

‘He’s going to come in and start off as a safety, with some corner, possibly some nickel. We like his flexibility, his personality, his character. He’s an all-work, no-bull kind of guy.’

Raheem Morris, Buccaneers’ defensive backs coach, to Buccaneers.com

Who: Kelvin SmithWhere: Miami DolphinsWhen: 7th round; 9th pick (No. 219 overall)

The skinny: Entering the draft, there was no guarantee Smith would be drafted. It started becoming tight at the end, but the Dolphins tabbed SU’s four-year starter early in the seventh round. Players generally rated below Smith started to get taken, like Portland State’s Adam Hayward in the sixth round, although that’s not uncommon late in the Draft when teams start picking obscure players they’ve zeroed in on. But Smith enters a 3-4 system that could work well for him, considering he has experience playing both the inside and the outside at SU. He also has special team experience at SU, which is a must for any seventh rounder hoping to make his team.

What’s being said: ‘I can play either inside or the outside. I played both in college. I’ve been a four-year starter, so I can adjust real easily.

‘Now I’m at somewhere else where I can get it done, somewhere else my family can cheer for.’

-Smith in a conference call with Miami-area media members.