Crush: apple picking

Apple PickingAn autumn to eat

Out-of-towners come from across the region this time of year to enjoy autumn outdoors. And if looking at foliage doesn’t stimulate you like it does those of other generations, fret not. Another pastime exists for those who are fans of activities that are not quite so tepid: apple picking.

To the naysayers and the uninitiated, apple picking in the fall might seem a tad childish, or even a pinch monotonous, but pay them no mind; wandering around an orchard brings serious relaxation. The greater Syracuse area is ripe with orchards willing to let packs of students pick their fill of fruit, and even if you swear you’re a city person, the great outdoors in small doses is good for anybody.

The fun doesn’t stop in the trees though, as plenty of orchards offer other distractions as well. Hayrides are fun if you’re 12, but corn mazes (not to be confused with maize) offer the more intellectual collegian a delightful challenge akin to a Sudoku puzzle you walk through. Well, at least a maze you could walk through anyway.

Lastly, don’t be shy at the checkout: orchards are often a general store and sell delicious farm treats like pies, cookies and maple syrup. So get in your car, or borrow a friend’s, or steal a car, and get thee to an apple orchard.