In the game of love, cheaters never win

Once upon a Saturday night, a boy and a girl met at a party. The girl had a Prince Charming in a kingdom far, far away, and the boy had a fair maiden who he had been with for a very long time. The boy and girl got drunk, hooked up and betrayed the trust of the people they loved. Since when did cheating become the happily ever after?

It seems that every weekend when I go out, some guy hits on me, and I tell him I have a boyfriend, thinking that will ward him off. But instead of respecting the fact that I’m in a relationship, the conditioned response to this statement seems to be, ‘So what? I have a girlfriend, and neither of them are here.’ I was even propositioned this past weekend by a guy who knows that I am acquainted with his other half. I mean, come on, I know you’re drunk, but retain a little of your dignity, please.

A real relationship is constituted by a trust between two people, a trust that isn’t broken. I’m sorry, open relationships are not relationships at all, but just two people who hook up when they are together and get with other people when they are apart. I will never understand how people can say they love each other and then sleep with someone else. I could never look my boyfriend in the eye if I cheated on him; the guilt would be too great.

‘Cheating is probably the most awful thing you can do to some one in a relationship,’ said Adrienne Borschuk, a freshmen psychology major. ‘If someone cheats, it is the end of the relationship, period.’

Also, I would never want to be the ‘other woman.’ Getting together with a guy who I knew had a girlfriend would only make me think of how much I would hate myself if I were in her situation. By fooling around with him, I would only be perpetuating the system of sleeping around. This is not to say that he’s not going to go look for the next thing that breathes and has a nice rack, but at least I’ll know that I am not the one whose picture his girlfriend will be throwing darts at when she finds out he’s a cheater.

So boys, next time I tell you I have a boyfriend, take that to mean, ‘No, I don’t want to go to bed with you.’ This goes double for those fellows who have a girlfriend, especially if I know her. Chances are I’ll say no to you and say a few words to your soon-to-be ex later. Meanwhile, I’ll remain the princess that I am and know that my Prince Charming will as always come sweep me off my feet on his white horse instead of bucking me off for being unfaithful.