Chapel marks anniversary with speaker

In celebration of Hendricks Chapel’s 75th anniversary, the university has invited a keynote speaker who promotes the chapel’s tradition of encouraging interfaith dialogue between religious groups.

Karen Armstrong, world-renowned religious scholar and author, will speak about fundamentalism in Judaism, Christianity and Islam at Hendricks Chapel at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. The speech is also a part of the yearlong inauguration events for Chancellor Nancy Cantor.

‘She helps us understand the history of (the Jewish, Christian and Muslim) traditions and the conflict between those traditions,’ said the Rev. Thomas Wolfe, dean of Hendricks Chapel.

Armstrong will speak about how and why fundamentalism has emerged in contemporary times as a new form of conflict between the three faiths, Wolfe said. Religious conflict is something Hendricks Chapel has strived to alleviate through interfaith activities on campus.

‘That is the antithesis of what we want to be here,’ Wolfe said. ‘The chapel is a place that has at its core values dialogue and understanding where religious tradition is honored and given its full expression.’

Wolfe stressed the intent is not to blend the religions, but to bring them together in peaceful co-existence.

‘I really think they can,’ Wolfe said. ‘And (Armstrong) thinks they can.’

Wolfe said he hopes the speech will encourage students of all faiths to really understand each other by sharing, teaching and approaching each other with a spirit of learning.

‘That’s why I think she’s perfect for this place,’ Wolfe said.

Wolfe said he had Armstrong in mind when he was thinking about keynote speakers for the chapel’s anniversary. He then found out Armstrong was already coming to Syracuse University as a Jeannette K. Watson distinguished visiting professor in the humanities, an honor given yearly to a prominent person in the news that the faculty nominates.

Being a Watson professor means Armstrong will come to SU for two weeks, giving speeches, seminars, and having informal conversations with students and faculty, said Kandice Salomone, associate dean for administration in The College of Arts and Sciences.

Wolfe said he first met Armstrong in the summer of 2003 at Chautauqua Institute, a religious and cultural center and closed community where people go on vacation. Wolfe was chaplain-in-residence for the United Methodist House at the Western New York institute.

Wolfe said he was thinking about possible keynote anniversary speakers when he encountered Armstrong, one of the various lecturers hosted by the institute.

‘I sat in every one of her lectures,’ Wolfe said. ‘I was thinking, ‘This woman has got to come.”

Wolfe said he then spoke to Armstrong about Hendricks Chapel and the interfaith trip to Spain the chapel hosted in 2003. He told her she would be perfect for the keynote address.

Khadija Mehter, a sophomore political science major and president of Muslim Students Association, said she respects Armstrong and her work.

After reading parts of Armstrong’s book, ‘The Battle For God: A History of Fundamentalism,’ Mehter said Armstrong comes off as well educated about all faiths, which she said is a ‘refreshing change’ from people who say they know about different faiths, but do not.

‘She just seems to have a clear perspective of what is going on,’ Mehter said.

Other religious leaders on campus are looking forward to hearing Armstrong speak.

‘I’m looking forward to her presentation on fundamentalism in Judaism, Christianity and Islam,’ said Joel Miller, executive director at Hillel. ‘It’d be interesting to hear her perspective on what it is all about.’

Besides the keynote address Tuesday, Armstrong will also give a lecture on ‘Paul and the God of the Philosophers’ at the Sheraton University Hotel and Conference Center at 4 p.m. Friday and a lecture on ‘The Spiral Staircase: My Climb out of Darkness,’ at Watson Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. April 18.