Texas anticipating showdown with Oklahoma

On the upper right-hand side of the official Texas football Web site, a ticker counts down — by the day, hour, minute and second — to Saturday’s Red River Shootout with Oklahoma.

While the clock makes no noise, enough staring at www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com might bring coach Mack Brown and quarterback Chris Simms to think they’re hearing the seconds tick off. One. At. A. Time.

In two days, Brown and Simms face the most important game yet in each of their Texas careers. Brown, in his fifth season, continues to pursue his first Big 12 title. With as big-name an offense as exists in college football, his team is expected to contend for a national championship, a goal likely dashed with a loss.

Simms, who failed to get Texas into the endzone last season against the Sooners, would like to dispel an unwanted label. In fact, Brown and Simms share a similar tag: “Good … except when it really counts.” They’re inextricably linked for one unwanted reason.

‘I think it would be fair to say that the pressure is on them,’ Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said.

Indeed. No. 3 Texas (5-0, 1-0 Big 12) and No. 2 Oklahoma (5-0, 1-0) meet Saturday at 3:30 p.m. about four hours from both Norman, Okla., and Austin, in the Cotton Bowl on the site of the Dallas State Fair.

And, as Sooner tight end Trent Smith said, ‘We’re not going down there to ride the Ferris Wheel.’

The rivalry traces to 1900, and Texas enjoys a 55-36-5 series advantage. That’s history, though, and at present history will not treat Brown or Simms well.

Texas was handled, 63-14, by Oklahoma two seasons ago. Last year, No. 3 Oklahoma shut down No. 5 Texas, 14-3. Culprit: Simms, who turned the ball over four times, including an interception near his own goal line returned two yards for a touchdown.

‘Chris Simms, he knew the blitz was coming,’ reminisced Oklahoma linebacker Ted Lehman, who reeled in an errant pass when safety Roy Williams pressured Simms. ‘He was just trying to throw a slant backside. Just a quick release. We knew he was going to do that. We were trying to get out underneath it.’

Expect more of the same. Said Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Brent Venables: ‘We need to get them in predictable situations where you can tee off through a variety of coverages.’

Speaking of teeing off, in the league championship against Colorado in December, Simms turned the ball over four times in the first half. Culprit: Simms.

Texas stormed back with Major Applewhite at quarterback in that game, only to spoil its own opportunity with an unforgivable roughing-the-punter penalty. Culprit: Coaching.

Brown, the former Oklahoma offensive coordinator, lost an opportunity at a conference title, something he has not produced in 18 years as a college head coach.

Bottom line: A Texas win Saturday and the entire state believes the Longhorns can win the national championship. Lose, and the same people will consider the season over.

The teams match up offensively. Oklahoma averages 40.8 points, Texas 37.2. Texas is 42nd nationally in rushing yards per game, Oklahoma 63rd. Oklahoma ranks 34th in passing yards per game, Texas 46th.

The difference should be defense — and mistakes. The Sooners allow only 13 points per game, the Longhorns even better at 9.4.

‘Their defense is like a who’s who in college football right now,’ Brown said of the Sooners. ‘We’ll have to play our best football game this weekend to have a chance to win.’

Stoops sounded decidedly more confident in his team. This, despite Oklahoma playing its backup quarterback, Nate Hybl, with Jason White lost for the season to injury. Hybl is 13-1 as a starter in his career and has yet to throw an interception this season.

Oklahoma remains the underdog Saturday — at least in Las Vegas — for a fourth straight season.

‘We wouldn’t have it any other way,’ Stoops said. ‘We’ve won enough around here. We’re pretty confident. I imagine we’ll be ready to compete when we go down the ramp.’

This and that

Maurice Clarett, Ohio State’s sensational rookie running back, finally showed some freshman immaturity. Clarett fumbled three times in No. 5 Ohio State’s 27-16 win at Northwestern, and ESPN aired a verbal donnybrook on the sidelines between Clarett and running backs coach Tim Spencer. ‘It happened, a lot of people saw it. To me, it’s over,” Spencer told The Columbus Dispatch. ‘You know, it’s not the first time a coach has said something to a player, or a player has snapped back. And it probably won’t be the last time.’ With 72 points, Clarett leads Division I in scoring and continues to attract attention as a Heisman candidate. … Arkansas and Tennessee needed six overtimes Saturday night before the Volunteers emerged, 41-38, on a 25-yard touchdown pass from Casey Clausen to tight end Jason Witten. That puts the Razorbacks in the record books as a participant in the two longest games in college history. Last Nov. 3, Arkansas won the longest game in NCAA history, edging Ole Miss, 58-56, in seven OTs. ‘This was bitter, bitter,’ Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. ‘There were a lot of times we outplayed them.’ A rule requiring teams to go for two-point conversions after touchdowns following the second overtime should, in theory, limit such never-ending games. … Colorado reportedly gave former quarterback Craig Ochs permission to talk with Washington. A Rocky Mountain News poll asked readers how they would feel about Ochs playing at Washington for former Colorado coach Rick Neuheisel. A majority, 52.5 percent, responded, ‘Terrible. If he plays for Washington, there should be an investigation into Neuheisel’s ethics.’ … In an unrelated story, there is an investigation into Neuheisel’s ethics. Colorado went on probation this week for 53 NCAA violations — many in recruiting — 51 of which occurred when Neuheisel coached the Buffaloes from 1995-98, the Associated Press reported. Colorado will forfeit five scholarships next year or the following year, decrease the number of expense-paid visits allowed for recruits by five, to 51, and reduce from seven to six the number of coaches allowed to recruit off campus at any one time through July 31, the AP reported. Neuheisel cannot recruit off campus until May 31. … Brown wide receiver Chas Gessner tied Jerry Rice’s NCAA single-game record with 24 catches Saturday against Rhode Island. Rice, like Gessner, played Division I-AA ball. The NFL’s all-time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns attended Mississippi Valley State. … Ole Miss allowed a sack Saturday for the first time since last Nov. 17. … Alabama, No. 22 last week, dropped from the Top 25, as did previously No. 23 Texas A&M and No. 25 Colorado State. By default, Auburn (4-1) cracked the Top 25 at No. 24 despite a bye week. Ole Miss (4-1) snuck in at No. 25 after upsetting Florida, 17-14, dropping the Gators from No. 6 to 16. Air Force (5-0) made the greatest gain, going from unranked to No. 21. … Memphis hosted and nearly beat Louisville, losing, 38-32, in a rare Tuesday night tilt.

Line of the week

In the wake of Florida’s second loss, senior quarterback Rex Grossman was asked if he regretted not following coach Steve Spurrier to the NFL.

‘No. No. No. No,’ Grossman said in frustration. ‘We’re still going to have a great season.’

One of the preseason Heisman Trophy favorites, whose luster dimmed with an earlier loss to Miami, connected on only 19 of 44 attempts and threw four interceptions Saturday at Ole Miss. He now has as many INTs (10) as TDs.

Heisman Watch

Granted, he’s a long shot, but Texas Tech’s Kliff Kingsbury is the best underpublicized player in the nation. His critics attribute his success to a spread offense that offers myriad options and short passes that can be easily completed.

Last week, though, should be enough to begin a Kingsbury-for-Heisman bandwagon. The fifth-year senior lit up Texas A&M’s Wrecking Ball defense, completing 83 percent of his passes for 474 yards and five touchdowns in College Station. The Red Raiders won, 48-47, against the team Kingsbury wanted to play for out of high school, and the team with only nine home losses in the last 12-plus seasons.

This season, Kingsbury leads the country in yards (2,134), completions (200), attempts (299) and touchdowns (22). He ranks fourth in completion percentage (67) and has been intercepted just five times. The catalyst for the 4-2 Red Raiders — losses to undefeateds Ohio State and N.C. State — owns the Big 12 career records for passing yards, total yards and career touchdown passes.

V.I.P. M.I.A.

LaBrandon Toefield, RB, Louisiana State: Toefield underwent surgery on his broken left forearm Sunday, sideling the former first-team All-SEC back at least six weeks. Toefield broke the arm last Saturday during the first quarter of a 48-0 win over Lousiana-Lafayette.

‘The fracture was relatively a clean break, and it went back together very easily,’ said Brent Bankston, the LSU team doctor who performed the surgery.

For Toefield, this is another in a long line of frustrating injuries. A torn right-knee ligament cost him his senior season in high school. Last season a torn left-knee ligament forced Toefield out of most of the SEC title game, all of the Sugar Bowl and spring practice.

Casey Clausen, QB, Tennessee: An injury the school reported as a sprained non-throwing shoulder is actually a hairline fracture of Clausen’s left collarbone, a Nashville, Tenn., newspaper reported yesterday. According to The Tennessean, Clausen did not practice Monday or Tuesday and claimed to be too sore to throw. Coach Phillip Fulmer, perhaps overly optimistic, said yesterday: ‘We’re still very hopeful we can get Casey ready to go for this weekend. If he can go, he’s going to go.’

Without Clausen — the SEC’s most efficient passer — No. 10 Tennessee is significantly less likely to upset No. 6 Georgia, especially playing on the road a week after a six-overtime win. Junior C.J. Leak, a transfer who last started a game two seasons ago at Wake Forest, is the likely starter, though Kelley Washington, one of the nation’s most talented receivers, ‘is somewhere in the (quarterback) pecking order,’ Fulmer said. ‘He will have his hands on the ball some.’