Newcomers make up half of roster

Words like “inexperienced” have been thrown in their face. And with only one senior on the roster – and half of it made up of freshmen — why not?

But the women on the Syracuse volleyball team don’t mind. In fact, it makes them more eager. Jessica Logan, Kathryn Dercher, Aila Dommestrup, Hui Jue Duan, Emily Hull and Kristen Conway are the new players looking to help the team improve on last year’s 14-13 record.

‘We’re going to take advantage of (the freshmens’) explosive skill,’ sophomore Ashley Kimes said. ‘No one in the Big East has seen them. It’s going to be an asset to us.’

SU went through a similar rebuilding process last year, when four freshmen joined. That experience cushions the blow of a changed roster this year.

‘We had a little of that last year with the three sophomores we have now,’ co-captain Christen Casey said. ‘The leadership has to be a little stronger with me and Abby. I feel pretty comfortable with us here.’

Casey, the Orangewomen’s lone defensive specialist, led the team in digs last year with 232. Being the only DS allowed her to focus on being more consistent, she said.

SU’s other co-captain, Abby Van Mater, becomes the top offensive option this year with the departures of Carol Munger (219 kills) and Laura Koster (234). Van Mater finished third with 218 kills last year, and her success will largely depend on junior setter Michaela Skelly.

Skelly takes over for Noreen Carroll (988 assists last season) and brings a different style and pace to the offense.

‘She sets faster and runs a quicker offense,’ sophomore Rachel Crooks said. ‘We drilled with her in practice last year and so it’s not that big of a change. We’re just going to be a little quicker.’

Another difference in the SU attack will be different serves, something Syracuse picked up from St. John’s last year.

‘They had long serves 50 feet behind the net, and they were beating us,’ Kimes said. ‘Their serves can rise and fall on you. Coach Jing (Pu) actually taught us that same technique, and we’re going to use it to our advantage.’

Kimes — an outside hitter — is one of three sophomores this year. Her 156 kills were second highest among returning freshmen on the team behind middle blocker Crooks, who recorded 216. Morgan Jones collected 134 kills last year, and she is the third of a solid second-year core.

Consistency will be key for this year because of a tough schedule including a game Nov. 9 with Notre Dame, who went undefeated last season in the Big East and open the season ranked No. 25 nationally.

Jones shrugged off the grueling schedule.

‘If we play our game, we should hang in there pretty well,’ Jones said. ‘With Notre Dame, who knows? They’re a good team, but so are we.’

The tough schedule will be easier because SU returns volleyball alum Carol Munger as an assistant coach. While it was strange at first, having Munger will be a big asset to the team, Crooks said.

‘She’s a lot of fun and great to work with,’ she said. ‘She’s really running us hard, and we’re improving a lot because of it.’

The Orangewomen’s improvement will be tested when they open the season Friday against Wagner College in Manley Field House at 7 p.m.

That game will begin a stretch of at least two per week until November. By then, the Orangewomen will prove how inexperienced or developed they are.

‘The goals of this team are pretty straight forward,’ Casey said. ‘Be consistent. Get to the Big East Championship. And win it.’

That doesn’t sound like the voice of inexperience.

-30-