Tennis team wins against army

On Sunday, you could have visited the Syracuse athletics Web site and checked its coverage of the tennis team’s match against Army.

You would have learned that the Orangewomen (7-10, 4-2 Big East), led by junior Shervin Saedinia and freshman Kristine Bech Holte, defeated Army (11-11), 5-2.

You would have noticed that Saedinia collected two wins in the match, extending her career total to 97. Only 22 players in SU history have reached the 100-win plateau. Holte did her part by collecting her team-leading 30th win by beating Melanie Bundoc.

But, if you visited the site, you might have glimpsed something more intriguing. The new recap also came with a poll that placed head coach Mac Gifford in an interesting locale — Hollywood.

‘Who would play the role of coach Mac Gifford in Orangewomen Tennis — the movie?’ the poll asks. Possible answers include Robert Redford, Dennis Hopper, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman and Martin Sheen.

‘I’m not really a computer person,’ Gifford said. ‘So I haven’t gotten a chance to look at that.’

For those who have, Robert Redford leads all vote-getters with 30 percent. Sophomore Zani Suttle was among those who voted for Redford because she thought Redford and Gifford look alike.

Of the limited selection, Gifford felt most partial to Dennis Hopper.

‘He’s one of my favorites of all time,’ Gifford said. ‘Off the list, I think Jack Nicholson.’

No big surprise. Nicholson is known for his huge success at the box office, and Gifford enjoyed success of his own Saturday with another Syracuse win. The match, Syracuse’s last at home this season, upped the team’s record to 4-3 at the Drumlins Tennis Club.

‘It was a very good win for us,’ Suttle said. ‘They’ve gotten better and played tough, but we had a good match.’

Syracuse has played many challenging non-conference matches this season, including against Top 25 teams Maryland and Florida Atlantic.

Now, with the playoffs approaching next week, the team has been weary not to let school and tennis wear it down.

‘They’re motivated students and their careers are important to them,’ Gifford said. ‘They’re in here working six times a week.’

The Orangewomen’s persistence has earned them their first two-game winning streak since Feb. 9 and 10 against Rutgers and Temple.

Still, the Orangewomen can’t feel too lucky given their injuries this season. Sophomore Alexa Konstand didn’t practice yesterday because she may have mononucleosis, Gifford said.

Gifford ended practice early yesterday to give the team time to recover in preparation for Friday’s match against Eastern Illinois in Charleston, Ill. The following day, SU travels to Columbia, Mo., to play its final match of the regular season against Missouri.

‘Missouri is an up-and-coming program,’ Gifford said. ‘It’s an example of young, building teams across the country. These are two teams that we don’t normally play.’