Residents, councilor address sewage plant

Thursday night’s round table discussion about the proposed sewage treatment plant to be built on Midland Avenue began by focusing on community hopes for the area.

It turned, however, into a shouting match after one woman’s claims that elected officials have failed to accurately represent the people who live in the area.

Amanda Pascall, who lives in the neighborhood, told public officials who were at the meeting that they have not been doing enough to stand up for the South Side of the city.

‘This community does not want a treatment facility in its midst,’ she said. ‘Your constituents have given you clear instructions: ‘We do not want this thing at all.’ So you need to step up to the plate, go to your board meetings and say, ‘this thing will not be in our neighborhood.’ “

Althea Chaplin, representative for the Onondaga County Legislature, assured Pascall that she and others have been working for the residents on the South Side.

‘I understand some of your frustrations, but I am from this community and I don’t want this plant either,’ Chaplin said. ‘I love this community and I fight for it and my constituents every day. We’re making sure your voices are being heard.’

Pascall’s concerns were not the only ones voiced at the meeting.

Earlier in the night Esther Zorn, who lives on the city’s East Side, questioned whether public officials would accept the proposed sewage facility plan if it meant the neighborhood would receive other benefits in its place.

‘There’s a fear that deals are being made where we’ll get jobs, but people will have to live with the sewage treatment plant,’ Zorn said. ‘There needs to be some reassurance to people that trade-offs aren’t occurring behind closed doors.’

Syracuse Common Councilor Mike Atkins assured Zorn and others that he would not give in to the county’s plans for the plant, and asked Zorn to trust him.

‘We have to stay steadfast, work together and trust that together we’re going to make the community better,’ Atkins said. ‘You have to trust the fact that I’m not going to sell out, and your wish is my wish.’

About five years ago Onondaga County proposed building the sewage treatment center in the vicinity of Midland and Cortland Avenues and Oxford and Blaine Streets. County officials say the facility is necessary in order to curb and control the release of untreated raw sewage into Onondaga Creek and Lake. Currently combined storm and waste sewers overflow after heavy rain and snowstorms, causing the release of the materials to pollute the waters before they can be treated.

Last year the city voted unanimously against selling the land to the county. Since then, the county filed suit against the city in hopes of forcing the city to sell the land to the county and proceeding with the project.

Vito Sciscioli, city commissioner of community and economic development, said he hoped the Common Council’s vote against the land sale was an indication that the city is behind South Side residents.

‘The city voted unanimously, 9-0, against it and you don’t get any stronger than that,’ he said. ‘The county is still advancing and we haven’t compromised. We have defenses and very good attorneys representing us. We’ll keep fighting this.’

For several residents, Sciscioli’s reassurances have paid off.

‘For the past three-and-a-half years, we have been fighting for a solution to the plant, a beautiful neighborhood and a clean creek,’ said Margie Clark, an activist for the Partnership for Onondaga Creek. ‘The city seems to be coming around and we’re glad about that.’