Konstand stands in while Orangewomen stumble

At the beginning of her college career, sophomore Alexa Konstand didn’t know what to expect.

The walk-on from Akron, Ohio, had dominated throughout high school, posting a 70-10 record. But when she got to Syracuse, she was surprised by the quality of opponents. As a first-year player, she appeared in only six matches for a 2-4 record.

‘Division I tennis is nothing like you’ve ever experienced before,’ Konstand said. ‘You just have to get your mind focused. Every ball counts.’

Now, as a sophomore, Konstand has seen more chances to play due to injuries. Classmate Zani Suttle has missed extended time due to a shoulder problem and senior Katie Thompson has not played due to an injury.

Konstand has made the most of her opportunities in both doubles and singles. She has appeared in more games in the first five matches this season than she did all of last year. So far, Konstand has impressed in doubles, posting a 4-1 record.

When Marion Charlier was sidelined because of a severe stomach virus, that left Konstand as the top choice to play in No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles, as the Orangewomen lost to Boston College, 6-1, and Boston University, 6-1, over the weekend.

While the Orangewomen (3-2, 1-1 Big East) faltered, Konstand continued her success in doubles, teaming with Daniela Kaluskova in No. 3 doubles. They provided the Orangewomen with their only doubles win, 8-6, over the Eagles’ Anisha Fernando and Emily Hellberg.

Filling in for Charlier proved a more difficult task, as Konstand lost in straight sets against Fernando.

‘She’s really a doubles specialist,’ head coach Mac Gifford said. ‘She’s been practicing doubles exclusively for the last two weeks.’

The Orangewomen may have lost to Boston College, 6-1, but some of the individual matches were closer than the final score indicates. Two such examples were No. 1 singles player Shervin Saedinia and No. 2 Kaluskova. Each played well, having her serve broken just once in a set.

‘Our matches were really close, and that’s why it’s so frustrating,’ Konstand said. ‘We’re hoping to fix that little piece so we can put the match away (next time).’

SU’s lone point of the afternoon came on a marathon match between Syracuse’s Masha Kabanova and BC’s Ruta Veitas. Kabanova finally put away Veitas in the third set, winning, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2. The junior from Moscow did not fair as well the next day against Boston University, losing 6-1, 6-1, to Christina Causway.

‘It was a mental toughness issue that we didn’t come out as strong the second day,’ assistant coach Marni Nordstrom said.

The losses halted the Orangewomen’s three-game win streak. Syracuse next hosts Seton Hall on Friday in a conference matchup that Konstand called a ‘must-win’.

‘We’re right on the cusp of making the tournament,’ Konstand said. ‘With the loss last weekend, we need to win each Big East matchup. We’re ready for (the pressure).’

-30-