Jimmy Boeheim to play professionally for AS Karditsas in Greek Basket League

Courtesy of the ACC

Jimmy Boeheim averaged 34.6 minutes, 13.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game in his one season with Syracuse.

Get the latest Syracuse news delivered right to your inbox. Subscribe to our sports newsletter here.

Former Syracuse forward Jimmy Boeheim will play professionally for AS Karditsas of the Greek Basket League in Karditsa, Greece, according to a press release from the team. AS Karditsas recently earned a promotion to the first division after winning the second-division championship in May.

On Wednesday, SU head coach Jim Boeheim originally confirmed Jimmy’s plans to play in Greece on ESPN Radio’s Orange Nation with Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia. But he did not state what specific team or league Jimmy was playing for.

“(Jimmy’s) pretty happy, he’s got a pretty good situation there,” Boeheim said on the show. “He’ll be right in it pretty soon.”

Following his collegiate career at Cornell and Syracuse, Jimmy spent this summer playing with Boeheim’s Army in The Basketball Tournament and the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Summer League alongside his brother, Buddy Boeheim. Boeheim’s Army was upset in the second round by The Nerd Team while the Pistons finished tied for 12th in NBA Summer League play.

In his lone season with the Orange, Jimmy started all 33 games, averaging 34.7 minutes, 13.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. He had six games with 20 or more points, including scoring 28 against Duke in the ACC Tournament quarterfinal with Buddy out due to suspension.

Prior to Syracuse, Jimmy spent his first three collegiate seasons at Cornell before the Ivy League canceled all competition for the 2020-21 season, his senior year. In 2019-20 with the Big Red, he averaged 16.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, including a game-high 25 points against SU in November 2019.

On the call, Boeheim also briefly talked about Buddy’s time with the Detroit Pistons. Boeheim said Pistons general manager Troy Weaver said Buddy has made a “big jump” since joining Detroit. Buddy is training with a much younger and less experienced Pistons squad this summer, but Boeheim said he’s the best shooter.

“He’s the best shooter on the team. He’s obviously got to work on getting better in a lot of areas,” Boeheim said. “He’s a better passer than they thought.”