Tennis

Syracuse tennis earns 4th NCAA Tournament berth in program history

Anya Wijeweera | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse tennis lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament but received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament on Monday.

Syracuse (8-11, 5-8 Atlantic Coast) received one of 34 at-large bids to the 2021 NCAA Tournament on Friday. The Orange will be lining up on the courts against Kentucky in the first round of the tournament in Berkeley, California. This marks the fourth time in program history that Syracuse has earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament. 

“This year, especially with all the extra bumps in the road, our team is very hungry to make a statement in the postseason and finish our season strong,” head coach Younes Limam said

Syracuse’s bid for the tournament comes just one day after it defeated an unranked San Francisco 4-3 on Sunday. Prior to this victory, Orange suffered a 5-0 first-round exit in the ACC tournament at the hands of No. 32 Wake Forest. 

Syracuse was ranked No. 45 in the latest Oracle ITA rankings on April 28, sliding down three spots from No. 42 a week prior. 

Going into the tournament, Syracuse has two ranked singles players — freshman Viktoriya Kanapatskaya at No. 13 and graduate student Guzal Yusupova at No. 122. The Orange also have two ranked doubles pairs, with Kanapatskaya and Natalie Novotna at No. 37, and Yusupova and Miranda Ramirez at No. 86.

Three of Syracuse’s current players — Yusupova, Ramirez and Sofya Treshcheva — competed in the Orange’s most recent NCAA Tournament appearance in 2019. Syracuse has a 2-3 all-time record in NCAA Tournament competition.