SU lacrosse players condemn domestic violence with support of One Love Foundation

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA TODAY Sports

All five of Syracuse's captains posted a message on social media supporting the One Love Foundation.

Multiple players on the Syracuse men’s lacrosse team posted an identical message on social media platforms Tuesday supporting the One Love Foundation, which strives to teach young people about healthy relationships to help them recognize and avoid abuse, according to the foundation’s website.

This week is One Love Week, which honors the memory of Yeardley Love, who was murdered by her boyfriend on May 3, 2010. Love was a senior on the Virginia women’s lacrosse team at the time of her death. Her mother, Sharon, and sister, Lexie, founded One Love soon after, and it’s become a national leader in preventing relationship violence and abuse, according to its website.

Syracuse players, including all five captains — Stephen Rehfuss, Drake Porter, Brendan Curry, Peter Dearth and Jamie Trimboli — stated in social media posts that they “stand firmly” against domestic violence and abuse in any form and that they now play to increase awareness and show support for survivors of domestic violence and abuse.

The players also pledged to continue educating themselves on “learning the signs of unhealthy and increasingly dangerous relationships” to be able to prevent tragedies such as the murder of Love. 

The posts come a week after attack Chase Scanlan was reinstated to the Syracuse men’s lacrosse team by head coach John Desko after being involved in what the Department of Public Safety classified as a “domestic incident.” The incident is under investigation

When Scanlan attempted to return to practice, SU captains reportedly threatened to walk out on April 27. Scanlan practiced separately with a coach but did not travel with the team to Notre Dame this past weekend.