Column

COVID-19 reveals SU students’ privilege

Emily Steinberger | Photo Editor

This past school year has taught me more about perspective than academics.The disparities between students who attend an expensive university and those living below the poverty line highlight the immense privilege students have had within the past year. 

While millions across the globe struggled due to COVID-19, some students at Syracuse University and other institutions had the privilege of an in-person semester. We should acknowledge this privilege rather than taking it for granted. 

Many students faced a different reality than the rest of the world. While the one of the biggest problems for most students seemed to be the uncertainty of an in-person semester, other communities faced bigger issues. A return to “normal” is talked about more and more, but the virus is still prevalent across the globe. 

While students cheered the reopening of SU dining centers, COVID-19 cases in India surged. This year has allowed me to recognize the amount of resources an in-person year requires and appreciate the opportunity to study at SU. However, taking note of my privilege does not solve the issues facing other communities. 

Attending college during a pandemic is a vastly different experience than what much of the world is experiencing. During the pandemic, opportunities like those offered at SU and other universities are largely inaccessible elsewhere. While millions struggled to gain access to COVID-19 tests, students had access to a supply of tests to keep their in-person year viable. 

Some students repeatedly put the in-person semester at risk of going remote. Some students traveled outside central New York or partied in off-campus housing, threatening students’ chances of remaining in person. Fortunately, SU had protocols in place to help contain the spread of such outbreaks. 

Students have had access to vaccines for nearly a month. Comparatively, other nations still lack the ability to vaccinate their citizens.

Experts point to poverty as being an indicator for lack of access to healthcare in the U.S. Unequal access to health care resulted in disproportionate COVID-19 outbreaks within communities. The pandemic has reflected the same issues our nation has faced prior to COVID-19, but with the increased risks of a public health emergency. Attending an in-person university this year has been a case-study into such inequities. 

The sheltered experiences that my peers and I have had through the pandemic only highlight the work needed to be done to create a more equitable future. This school year has presented opportunities for students to reflect upon the state of society. Understanding the freedoms that attending a top university allows for is a step towards advocating for the same treatment for others.

Harrison Vogt is a sophomore environment sustainability policy and communication and rhetorical studies dual major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected]. He can be followed on Twitter at @VogtHarrison.