From the Kitchen

Mexican restaurant Luna Loca to open in historical Syracuse church

Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

Luna Loca is taking up the same spot as The Mission Restaurant’s previous location, a former Wesleyan Methodist Church.

Leigh Ann and Ryan Benz used to dine at The Mission Restaurant in downtown Syracuse often before going to plays, concerts and shows at nearby theaters and concert halls.

“Before a lot of shows, usually, you tend to pop over to The Mission, and that’s where you go for your pre-show or post-show dinner or cocktail,” Ryan Benz said.

While The Mission closed in December, Steve Morrison, the Mission’s owner and head chef for about 21 years, remembers the Benzs as avid customers. He never had the chance to formally meet the couple until this February when the building’s landlord brought two people for a tour while Morrison was packing up boxes.

Later this spring, the husband and wife business duo — who also own On My Darling and The Fitz — plan to open their new California-Mexican style restaurant Luna Loca in The Mission’s previous location. The menu is about 80% complete and it will include a full range of Mexican cuisine like tacos, burrito bowls and Mexican street corn, Benz said.

The new owners are aiming to open Luna Loca in May. While the interior adjustments are finished, the Benzs are still waiting on a liquor or beer and wine license, and to complete hiring their staff.

The owners kept the “same bones” of The Mission restaurant’s interior, but they updated the upholstery, added new lighting and installed a 26-foot hanging bar feature.

As for the other interior features, the owners primarily used colors such as salmon pink, teal and red on the upholstery, but most of the walls are white. Benz said the color scheme represents a California vibe and a traditional Mexican color scheme to him.

The building that the restaurant will operate within is a historic landmark in Syracuse that was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. While the church’s history traces back to the Underground Railroad, Benz said Morrison made the space known for Pan-American cuisine, with an emphasis on Mexican food.

wendywang_staffphotographer_mission-resturant_20210402_006

The church, which is a Syracuse historical landmark, has roots with the Underground Railroad. More recently, it’s been the space for The Mission Restaurant, and now, Luna Loca. Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

Before he opened The Mission in 2000, Morrison said he was unaware of the historical significance of the church. As Morrison owned and operated the restaurant, he learned more of its historic nature and noticed many people who ate the restaurant were also intrigued by its history.

Established in 1846 in Syracuse, the Wesleyan Methodist Church under the leadership of minister Luther Lee the church provided shelter to enslaved people fleeing the South.

Gregg Tripoli, the executive director of the Onondaga Historical Association, said in 2018, “Our abolitionist history is absolutely pivotal in the movement that led to the eventual end of slavery.”

The Benzs, who are Syracuse natives, look forward to operating in such a historic building that means a lot to the community. But, Ryan added that he is also looking forward to continuing the tradition of serving Mexican food in the space.

“Steve (ran) such a gangbuster business out of that space for 22 years, that space was known kind of for that,” Benz said. “So we said, ‘well what if we just don’t reinvent the wheel.’”

The Benzs have chosen their executive chef from Oh My Darling, Jayden White, to run the position at Luna Loca.

Throughout the renovation and menu building process, Benz said the term “fresh” is important. From the restaurant’s aesthetic to its menu, the owners hope to “offer a fresh approach to the cuisine.”

For Morrison, he always wanted to introduce new aspects of Mexican cuisine to his menu like tamales and huitlacoche — edible corn fungus. Often, the additions to the menu were more for him to enjoy than the customers because food palettes in Syracuse tend to be “middle of the road.” But he looks forward to what the Benzs have to offer to the cuisine and food scene in Syracuse.

“I like his vision for the space and everything,” Morrison said. “I’m happy that someone’s gonna take it over and carry it on. I’m anxious to see what he does with it.”