Chase Scanlan reportedly involved in domestic incident before suspension

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA TODAY Sports

Chase Scanlan did not play in Syracuse’s 13-11 win over Virginia on Saturday.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter here

UPDATED: April 29, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.

Syracuse attack Chase Scanlan was suspended from the team last week after he was involved in what the Department of Public Safety classified as a domestic incident, according to Syracuse.com

DPS responded to an incident reported on South Campus at 11:34 a.m. on April 18, the day after SU played UNC. The incident occurred just after midnight on April 18 but was not reported until later that morning, according to the DPS crime log. 

The case is currently listed as open. Scanlan has not been charged with a crime, Syracuse.com reported. A DPS official told The D.O. in an email on April 20 that the report has been turned over to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities and SU’s Title IX office.

The Syracuse Police Department and the office of Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick have joined the investigation and are going to meet with the other party involved, according to the Syracuse.com report. “We plan on meeting with the victim at her convenience,” Fitzpatrick told Syracuse.com.

SPD spokesperson Sgt. Matthew Malinowski told The D.O. in an email that SPD is working with DPS and the DA’s office to investigate the incident.

Scanlan was suspended indefinitely from the team April 20 and reinstated Monday, according to a Syracuse spokesperson. SU’s captains reportedly threatened to walk out of practice on Tuesday if Scanlan was present. Instead, the sophomore attack practiced on his own.  

Thursday morning on ACC Network’s “Packer and Durham,” Athletic Director John Wildhack said he met SU’s five captains and had a “very cordial” and “substantive” conversation.

Scanlan did not play in Syracuse’s 13-11 win over Virginia on Saturday, and it is unclear if he will join the team for its matchup with Notre Dame this weekend.

The attack is Syracuse’s leading goal scorer (24) and is third on the team in points (33). He had started all nine games prior to his suspension. Against Virginia, junior Owen Seebold took over for Scanlan, recording two goals and two assists in the conference win.

This story will be updated with additional reporting.