Field Hockey

Syracuse field hockey announces 8-game spring schedule

Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse will first play an exhibition Saturday at 2 p.m. against St. Joe’s.

Syracuse field hockey will play eight games in its spring season, the team announced Monday. The Orange resume play Sunday after posting a 5-4 record in the fall and a losing in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament semifinals against North Carolina, the two-time defending national champion.

SU will first play an exhibition game against St. Joe’s on Saturday at 2 p.m. The teams will face off the following day in Syracuse’s second of three nonconference games to begin the spring. Saturday will mark the first game of 2020-21 for the Hawks, whose games against UConn and Drexel were both canceled in February.

After the two-game stretch against St. Joe’s, Syracuse heads to Towson on March 14. Towson has not played since Nov. 3, 2019 after its fall season was canceled due to COVID-19. They finished 3-16, ending 2019 on a four-game losing streak.

Syracuse’s first ACC game of 2021 comes against Duke on March 27. It is the first of six conference games the Orange will play, with the final regular season matchup of the year coming April 18 against the Tar Heels.

The Orange were swept in two games against Virginia in the fall, losing their second matchup 3-2 in double overtime. SU went on to beat the Blue Devils before losing to UNC for the first of two times in the fall. Syracuse ended its regular season by sweeping two games against Wake Forest and beating Louisville 2-1.

If the Orange finish as the top team in the ACC, they will go on to face UNC again in the conference championship. The winner will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament on April 23.