3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 9-point win over NC State

Courtest of Scott Sharpe | The News & Observer

The Orange. shot 47% percent from the field and pulled away in the second half en route to a 77-68 win over the Wolfpack.

Syracuse entered Tuesday night’s game at North Carolina State with only one Quadrant 2 win and one road win the entire season. The Orange had already lost to North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Clemson and Virginia, and their NCAA Tournament odds were as low as 11.1% on Bart Torvik.

If Syracuse wanted any chance at the NCAA Tournament, its run had to start on Tuesday night in Raleigh, and it began with its defense. The Orange (11-6, 5-5 Atlantic Coast) forced 20 turnovers, shot 47% percent from the field and pulled away in the second half en route to a 77-68 win over the Wolfpack (8-8, 4-7). 

Turnovers forced make the difference

When these two teams met in the Carrier Dome nine days ago, Syracuse forced 11 turnovers and struggled to get stops against the Wolfpack. NCSU put up 47 points in the opening frame and controlled the glass. The difference in the game on Tuesday night was Syracuse’s improved defense. Even though the Wolfpack shot 42.1% from 3 and 46% from two in the game, SU’s defense forced 20 turnovers.

In its last meeting, Buddy Boeheim, Joe Girard III and Kadary Richmond didn’t register a single turnover against NCSU. On Tuesday night, they combined for five steals in the rematch. 

Even though Syracuse was outshot on percentage in the first half and was outshot from beyond the arc in the game, it didn’t matter because of the Orange’s decisive turnover and rebounding edge. 

SU’s defense has been up and down all season long, but its best defensive performances have coincided with an increase in turnovers forced and defensive activity.

Alan Griffin’s carries Syracuse throughout the game

Syracuse has five players who average double figures and typically has a balanced scoring offense. 

Syracuse’s offense is at its best when Alan Griffin is making shots and creating for himself. The junior transferred to the Orange to be more than a catch and shoot player — like he was at Illinois in past seasons. Griffin had one of his best all-around halves of the season on Tuesday night and kept SU even with the Wolfpack with 14 first half points on nine shots.

Griffin was a key reason that SU forced 13 first half turnovers, as he generated two steals and deflected a few other passes.

On one possession in the second half he missed a pull-up floater, but dove onto the ground, grabbed the rebound and passed out to Girard for an open 3. He found the balance between attacking the rim and shooting from the perimeter. On another possession in the first half, Girard was under pressure and Griffin flared out to the corner, received the pass from Girard and drilled the 3. 

Griffin reached 20 points with eight minutes left in the game, the sixth time in 17 games that Griffin eclipsed 20 this season. He hit another 3 to push the Syracuse lead to 10 and prompted an NCSU timeout.

His 22 points led all scorers to end the night. 

Subscribe to the D.O. Sports Newsletter

Want the latest in Syracuse sports delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the D.O. Sports newsletter to read our best sports articles, sent to you every Friday morning.

* indicates required

Kadary Richmond shined off the bench, again

Richmond’s high school coach from Brooklyn, Shawn Mark, talks to the freshman point guard multiple times per week. One of his constant pieces of advice is to be more consistent and always bring energy each time he comes off the bench. Mark said Richmond has not always done that when he’d come off the bench this season.

While Richmond offered very little spark against Clemson on Saturday, Tuesday is twice in three games that he’s been a difference maker for the Orange. Richmond had a solo 6-0 run near the end of the first half, stealing the ball twice and creating two easy fastbreak lay-ups. The Orange turned a three-point deficit into a three-point lead in less than two minutes and prompted NC State head coach Kevin Keatts to call a timeout. 

Richmond finished the game with eight points, three assists and three steals. He was aggressive off the dribble and was more effective than Buddy and Girard at closing out on 3-point shooters. 

Richmond made a backdoor cut in the second half and received the pass from Griffin, but when the Wolfpack’s defense converged on him under the hoop, he passed cross-court to Robert Braswell for a wide open 3. That 3 pushed Syracuse’s lead to seven and ended a Wolfpack run to cut into the lead.