Column

Love in college is complicated, to say the least

Katelyn Marcy | Asst. Illustration Editor

The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.

Love was the center of Shakespeare’s work, but today, the meaning of love has drastically changed in the age of COVID-19, online dating and hookup culture. As students, we’re so used to hearing about love and romantic relationships serving as a distraction. But love tends to evoke a broad spectrum of emotion that goes past just an elating escape from reality.

Balancing romance, education and the challenges that come with becoming an adult is never easy. Yet, many students dealing with the conflict between their social life and an isolating pandemic find themselves in a unique situation where loving other people has never been more critical. 

Love can be focused on the discovery of the feeling itself or on that one person that gives you “butterflies.” For SU sophomore Braeden Rowley, love is “constructive. You’ll learn a lot from it, but it can also be very disruptive.” Most of us fear falling in love and ending up hurt and alone in the end, which helps explain why many college students resort to quick hookups, one-night stands and “situationships” to avoid the consequences. But the challenges that can arise from love can help us identify what we want in life and prepare us for our future.

Relationships can help college-aged couples determine their compatibility, as they can often spend time together in small dorms and share responsibilities that can prepare them for their futures, according to the Brig Newspaper. And if the relationship doesn’t work out, the breakup process might go smoother because a shared lease and bills are not yet a make-or-break issue. Dating during your college years can provide a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see whether your partner and your love connection is strong enough.

Love can also provide relief from loneliness and serve as an escape from overwhelming weekly routines and school stress. Being with someone who deeply cares about you can have influential healing properties. Plato once said, “Love is born into every human being; it calls back the halves of our original nature together; it tries to make one out of two and heal the wound of human nature.” Luckily, we all are born with the ability to love and care about others.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, many people have been alone for extended periods of time, causing feelings of detachment from the rest of the world. The dating app Hinge had a 17% increase in dates over the summer. All because humans were lacking the affection and love in their life that they had prior to the pandemic.

“Now, people need to be a lot more loved for who they are and what they are,” said SU junior Jaylen Bartley, emphasizing the timely need for attachment. 

Many college students tend to understand that love is a constructive emotion that shouldn’t be cut off in their lives. But not everyone agrees. SU sophomore Katie Steel said that falling in love is an inconvenience “because of classes, and you need to do homework, but I feel like it can be nice.” However, any disadvantage could turn into a challenge that will strengthen a person.  

The college years tend to challenge students mentally, physically and sometimes spiritually. But having the support system in the form of a partner during these challenges can significantly help students get through uncertain times. Love should be unconditional, so through all the changes, it’s essential to have a person that’s there for any version of you that evolves. And when the responsibilities of being a student get too stressful, it’s always comforting to be with someone who understands what you are going through.

University students tend to hear about love being a massive distraction for GPA and concentration. And indeed, it can be a challenge to have all that on one plate. But during a Valentine’s Day impacted by the trends of the digital age and an isolating pandemic, it’s important to know that, while college love is complicated, it’s equally important.

Polina Plitchenko is a junior psychology major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].