Who’s in, who’s out? Tracking SU football’s 2020 offseason

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Dino Babers, pictured in 2019, will coach several players for a fifth season in 2021.

UPDATED: Jan. 5, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.

Graduating seniors have the unprecedented option of returning for an extra year after the NCAA made this season a free year of eligibility due to the pandemic. Along with the typical transfer portal activity of any offseason, the extra year could make for an especially volatile offseason for a Syracuse team reeling from a 1-10 season.

Here’s everything you need to know about who’s transferring and who’s returning for Syracuse football next season:

Returning

Tommy DeVito, Quarterback

DeVito’s father told Syracuse.com that the quarterback intends to return to SU, quieting speculation that the he’d transfer. Currently a redshirt junior, DeVito has two years of eligibility left. A foot injury sidelined him for the second half of the 2020 season. 

Joshua Black, Defensive Lineman

Black, a key member of SU’s defensive line, announced Dec. 8 that he’ll be returning to Syracuse in 2021. “It is MY duty to help lead and get Syracuse back on track,” he wrote in a statement. 2021 will be Black’s sixth year at SU. 

Airon Servais, Offensive Line

Servais, who’s started every game since his freshman year, announced he’ll return for a sixth season at Syracuse. Servais is one of SU’s leaders on the offensive side of the ball and a key component of its offensive line.

Kingsley Jonathan, Defensive Lineman

Jonathan, who had 3.5 sacks in 2020, will return for his fifth season at Syracuse. Jonathan served as a captain and has appeared in 44 games across his four seasons.

Chris Elmore, Offensive Lineman/Tight End/Fullback

Elmore announced he’ll return for his fifth year at Syracuse in 2021, saying he has “unfinished business” with the Orange. Previously used as a tight end, fullback and defensive lineman, Elmore was converted into a left guard for 2020 after offensive lineman Dakota Davis’ injury. Head coach Dino Babers said SU would’ve likely been forced to forfeit games had Elmore not made the switch to offensive line.

Transferring In

Garrett Shrader, Quarterback

Shrader, a 4-star Mississippi State quarterback, announced he’s transferring to Syracuse. He picked the Orange over Virginia Tech and Louisville, among others. Shrader, currently a sophomore, is listed as a quarterback, but he played wide receiver and special teams this fall for the Bulldogs. During his freshman season, he appeared in 10 games, throwing for 1,170 yards and eight touchdowns in four starts. He’s likely to compete with DeVito for the starting job in 2021.

Transferring Out

Aaron Hackett, Tight End

Hackett caught 10 passes for 63 yards and two touchdowns this season, significantly less than 2019. Even as he and fellow tight end Luke Benson’s volume decreased, the two were among SU’s most efficient options. Hackett announced Dec. 7 that he’ll transfer from Syracuse, and multiple schools have been in contact with him.

Markenzy Pierre, Running Back 

Pierre, a redshirt junior, has reportedly entered the transfer portal. He was thrust into a prominent role in the backfield early in the season after Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard opted out, but freshman Sean Tucker and redshirt sophomore Cooper Lutz eventually overtook him on the running back depth chart. He finished the season with 48 yards on 21 carries, fifth-best on the team. 

Tyler Cook, Linebacker 

Cook, a freshman walk-on, did not play a snap in 2020. 247 Sports reported he’s entered the transfer portal.

Cooper Dawson, Defensive Lineman

Dawson has declared for the transfer portal “in hopes of finding a new home to play football,” he announced via Twitter. Dawson was the first Syracuse football player to opt out of the 2020 season due to coronavirus-related concerns. The 3-star prospect from Charleston, South Carolina redshirted the 2019 season.

Cameron Jordan, Wide Receiver

Jordan announced he’s entered the transfer portal after not playing in 2020. The receiver was expected to be a key option in the passing game before he left the program in the summer. The program didn’t give a reason for his departure at the time.

Nykeim Johnson, Wide Receiver

Johnson has entered the portal as a grad transfer, according to reports. He was a second-team All-ACC selection for special teams after leading the ACC in punt returning (averaged 14.1 yards per return). Johnson played 46 games during his four years at Syracuse.

Jawhar Jordan, Running Back

Jordan became the second running back to declare for the transfer portal, joining teammate Markenzy Pierre. Jordan, a redshirt freshman, entered Syracuse’s 2020 season as the starting running back after Adams and Howard opted out. Jordan experienced a season-ending leg injury in week three against Georgia Tech. The Farmingdale, New York native recorded 105 rushing yards and a touchdown during his true freshman season in 2019.

Declared for the NFL Draft

Ifeatu Melifonwu, Cornerback

Melifonwu will forgo his senior season at Syracuse to enter the NFL Draft, his agent told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Melifonwu was second on the team in pass breakups (9) and caught one interception in 2020, though teams often avoided throwing at him. Syracuse will also have to replace Andre Cisco and Trill Williams in the secondary, both of whom opted out during the season and are expected to enter the NFL Draft. Melifonwu’s older brother, Obi, most recently played for the New England Patriots in 2019.

This post will be updated as more players announce their decisions heading into 2021.