on campus

Syracuse University freshman dies after trolley collision

Mira Berenbaum l Asst. Copy Editor

A DPS officer on the scene confirmed that an SU trolley was involved in a collision with a pedestrian.

Trevor Pierce, a freshman at Syracuse University, died Tuesday following a collision with an SU trolley.

Several police cars and fire trucks responded to reports of a vehicle collision at the intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues around 5:23 p.m. A Department of Public Safety officer on the scene confirmed to The Daily Orange that an SU trolley was involved in a collision with a pedestrian.

Syracuse Police Department officers responded to the scene and taped off the intersection. Pierce, 18, was transported to Upstate Medical University in critical condition, where he was pronounced dead, according to a statement from SPD.

“This is an unthinkable loss for Trevor’s family, friends and loved ones and the entire Syracuse University community,” said Marianne Thomson, dean of students, in a campus-wide email. “We send our support, thoughts and prayers to everyone grieving and impacted by Trevor’s death.”

(s)ungodly

A photo posted by t.revor.yum

The driver of the Syracuse University trolley involved in the collision that killed Pierce is on administrative leave pending an investigation into the accident, an SU official confirmed to The Daily Orange.

Pierce, from Jaffrey, New Hampshire, was studying political philosophy in the College of Arts and Sciences and was a member of the Renèe Crown University Honors Program. He lived in Sadler Hall.

“Trevor will be greatly missed by all who knew him,” Thomson said.

The Daily Orange is interested in sharing Trevor’s story. If you knew Trevor and would like to speak with us about his life, please email us at [email protected].