Tyrell Richards arrested Aug. 8 for impaired driving, disciplined by SU

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Linebacker Tyrell Richards was arrested on Aug. 8 for driving while impaired and has been disciplined according to team and SU Athletics' policies.

Redshirt junior linebacker Tyrell Richards was arrested Aug. 8 for driving while impaired, a Manlius police official confirmed to The Daily Orange. He was driving on East Genesee Street in Fayetteville. 

Richards “has been disciplined in accordance with team and athletic department protocols for this incident,” according to a statement from the university. 

Though Richards was an expected starter in the spring, he was not listed on the team’s Week 1 depth chart. Running backs Jarveon Howard and Abdul Adams were also not listed, as they have opted out of the season. The Athletic initially reported that Richards was also among Syracuse’s opt-outs. 

Richards was listed as the starting weak side linebacker in the spring. He was coming off a redshirt sophomore year where he led SU with six special teams tackles, which earned him the team’s most outstanding special teams player award. He recorded 14 total tackles in 10 games, three of which were for loss, as well as one sack, one pass breakup and one fumble recovery.