From the Kitchen

Syracuse Cucinas photographs local kitchens

Courtesy of Michael Massenzio

Michael Massenzio photographed Kasai Ramen for his food photography Instagram account, Syracuse Cucinas.

Michael Massenzio interviewed and photographed Rich Strub, a chef and partner at a restaurant called Eden, a month after meeting. The photos, taken in Eden, were posted on Massenzio’s Instagram page, Syracuse Cucinas.

Since January, Massenzio has taken pictures for his Instagram page in at least 11 more kitchens, including Kasai Ramen, Gannon’s Ice Cream and Via Napoli Food Truck. Syracuse Cucinas has become an homage to Massenzio’s Italian heritage, and the page blends his passions for photography and cooking together.

“He’s got an eye for (photography),” said Nick Salibrici, Massenzio’s friend. “And on top of that, he’s a passionate cook himself, so I think him combining two things that he is super passionate about is what led to this project.”

Massenzio developed an interest in photography while a student at Paul V. Moore High School in Central Square, New York. He and his friends met outside of school to take photos, and they “pushed each other to try different things and to have fun,” he said.

columbus-bakery-001

Massenzio has been interested in photography since his time in high school and now does it as hobby alongside his full-time teaching job at Homer Senior High School. Courtesy of Michael Massenzio

A lot of his photography knowledge and skills came from trial and error. After conducting photo shoots during high school and college, he looked at his work and thought about what he could do better next time.

His love for the craft eventually led him in 2009 to create Ammerican Photography, a photography business based in Syracuse. The business served as a side gig for his main job as a teacher at Homer Senior High School.

The Syracuse Cucinas project has given Massenzio a chance to combine his love for photography and food, allowing him to explore culinary photography and observe cooking techniques and flavor combinations to try at home. Massenzio is an amazing cook, and he even shovels out his backyard smoker for winter barbecues, Salibrici said.

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required

His experience photographing the kitchen staff of Eden in January launched the Syracuse Cucinas project. In the kitchen of Strub’s restaurant, Massenzio introduced himself to the kitchen staff and began photographing them for about an hour and a half. When he felt intrusive, Massenzio would find a corner to stay in until things calmed down in the kitchen.

I try to be as unopposing as possible, which is really tough because in the kitchen people are just flying around doing their thing.
Michael Massenzio, founder of Syracuse Cucinas

“I try to be as unopposing as possible, which is really tough because, in the kitchen, people are just flying around doing their thing,” Massenzio said.

Dim lighting in many restaurants was a challenge to Massenzio’s work process, but he began to embrace it. He goes into a restaurant with two cameras, and he uses whatever light is in the kitchen.

He rarely poses kitchen staff for photos because his objective is to get their working portrait, or a photo of them at work. His presence can become an added obstacle for cooks to maneuver around if he’s not careful.

“What I’m learning is that chefs don’t necessarily want you in their kitchen because they might think the idea of a story is cool, but when you are in the kitchen you are in the way of (their work environment),” Massenzio said.

kasai-ramen-001-1

Syracuse Cucinas captures kitchens as they are in order to get a working portrait of the staff. Courtesy of Michael Massenzio

Massenzio interviews people in the kitchen in addition to taking photos of them. His interviews rarely take place the same night as a photo shoot because chefs or owners are busy cooking and connecting with guests. When an interview does happen during a photo shoot, Massenzio enjoys the candid answers and interesting anecdotes.

So far, Massenzio has received positive feedback about his photos and professionalism. John Gannon, co-owner of Gannon’s Ice Cream, said his pictures came out “awesome.”

There were no social distancing issues when Massenzio came to photograph Gannon’s Ice Cream, because their kitchen space is large and only a few employees were working at the time, Gannon said.

Since school started at Homer Senior High School earlier this month, Massenzio has limited his commitment to Syracuse Cucinas, but he’s organizing projects for later this year. He’s looking forward to going back into kitchens.

“I wanted to give a shout out to the people in the back making the food we love in Syracuse,” Massenzio said. “I think it’s important for an artist to have their space and be given their props.”