on campus

SU closes Ernie Davis Hall, quarantines residents after COVID-19 possibly found

Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

This is the first confirmed instance of SU identifying traces of the virus through wastewater testing.

Syracuse University is ordering all students who live in Ernie Davis Hall to return to their rooms for quarantine after the university found a “possible instance” of COVID-19 wastewater testing.

An SU team will administer tests to all building residents today, with results expected in 24 to 48 hours, according to an email sent to Ernie Davis residents. The university is also testing all employees who work in the building.

The detection of a possible instance of COVID-19 does not definitively mean a resident has contracted the virus, Vice Chancellor Mike Haynie said in a campus-wide email. At this time, the university has only detected COVID-19 in the residence hall, not Ernie Davis Dining Hall, which has a separate sewer system.

If a resident or employee of Ernie Davis tests positive, the contact tracing process will begin immediately, Haynie said. Building residents will be required to quarantine in their rooms until the university receives the test results. SU will provide food and other necessities to residents during the quarantine.

The university will conduct room checks in Ernie starting at 4:15 p.m. and will continue until all students are in their rooms.

This is SU’s first announcement of possible COVID-19 traces found in a residence hall through the university’s wastewater surveillance program.