national

Students from California watch from afar as wildfires jeopardize homes

Courtesy of Sedona Regan

The fires have burned millions of acres across Oregon, Washington and California.

For the last few weeks, Nico Sloop has watched from a distance as his home state burns. 

Sloop, a junior at Syracuse University, is from Sonoma, a town about 40 minutes away from San Francisco. When photos of wildfire smoke blocking the sun in the Bay Area were circulating on social media on Sept. 9, Sloop’s dad was sending him similar photos from his hometown. 

“It seems like every year (the fires are) getting worse, so there’s definitely concern there on my end,” said Sloop, who is a dual major in television, radio and film and information management and technology.

Wildfires have already burned millions of acres across California, Oregon and Washington in what’s been one of the worst years for wildfires on record. Although SU students on campus are thousands of miles away from the wildfires along the West Coast, some, such as Sloop, are still feeling the effects. 

Although Sloop’s home isn’t in immediate danger, his family has had a few close calls in the last few years. A house belonging to a close family friend of the Sloops burned down this year. 

courtesy-of-sedona-regan-2

Courtesy of Sedona Regan

Wildfires have torched 3.3 million acres in California alone, about 26 times more than the year before in the same period. Of the 20 largest wildfires in modern California history, six have occurred this year. Tens of thousands of people have evacuated already while other communities have faced exposure to toxic air from waves of wildfire smoke. 

Sophomore Sydney Schroeder is from Los Angeles, but she has family in San Francisco. The wildfires have worsened the air quality in both cities.

“My mom’s whole side of the family lives (in San Francisco) so I am worried about my grandparents because they are old and the air quality is really bad,” said Schroeder, who’s studying public relations. Her grandparents are stubborn and still go outside, she said. 

Even though the effects of wildfire smoke are not fully understood, the toxic substances from burned buildings are linked to serious health problems. The poor air quality can especially harm those with respiratory problems and heart conditions. 

firesa4-01

Katelyn Marcy | Digital Design Director

Wildfire smoke can irritate your lungs, cause inflammation, affect your immune system and make you more prone to lung infections, including COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The risk of complications from wildfire smoke is higher for people of color, and the worst cases can be deadly among the elderly

Nearly 17,000 firefighters are working to contain over 29 wildfires across California, according to a Sept. 13 report from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Thirteen fires erupted on Sept. 11, but only one grew beyond the control of the initial response firefighters. There have been 22 fatalities and over 4,100 structures burned since Aug. 15, when California’s fire activity elevated, the release states. 

Ellie Chapman, a sophomore majoring in English and textual studies, said her family is close to being evacuated. Chapman’s family lives in the Pasadena-Altadena area in Southern California. Her hometown is near the Bobcat fire, which has been burning for seven days and is only 6% contained. So far, the Bobcat fire has burned 31,991 acres. 

courtesy-of-sedona-regan

Courtesy of Sedona Regan

Chapman’s dad, who is immunocompromised and has severe asthma, has experienced negative effects from the smoke.

“I would definitely say that choosing to go to a school across the country and being so far away from my family, where they live, it does kind of induce a certain anxiety in me,” Chapman said. 

Although she’s anxious, Chapman’s confident that her family is well-prepared and would know what to do in the event of an evacuation. People in the area are used to wildfires happening, so they view it as an event they have to be ready for, she said. 

Sloop is somewhat concerned about his family’s safety and losing his house, but he’s also concerned about the government’s response to the wildfires. 

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has said the wildfires are related to climate change, noting the state’s record-breaking heat waves. President Donald Trump has blamed the state for poor forest management.

“It seems like we know these fires are happening, and it’s been pretty consistently around the same time of year for the past three years,” Sloop said. “I don’t see anything changing in terms of preventative methods, in terms of the real issue — climate change.”