High School Sports

Kat Amico aims to lead F-M to first lacrosse state championship in 15 years

Courtesy of Kat Amico

After losing in the state semifinal in 2018 and the state final in 2019, Kat Amico is looking to bring Fayetteville-Manlius High School its first lacrosse state title in 15 years.

Kat Amico is looking to lead Fayetteville-Manlius High School to its first championship since 2005. 

The girl’s lacrosse team lost the in state semifinals in 2018 and in the state final in 2019. Those losses — the worst experiences of Amico’s career thus far — are her motivation, her teammate and best friend Lilly Coleman said.

A tri-sport athlete who also plays basketball and soccer, Amico has already committed to play Division II lacrosse at Le Moyne College. The college finished the 2019 season 20-2 and was No. 1 in the final IL coaches poll. Heading into her senior season, Amico hopes to earn a First-Team All-League award after being named an honorable mention during her sophomore season.

Amico’s strongest attribute is her speed, said Coleman and Leah Tuck, her high school lacrosse coach. In a 9th grade tryout, Tuck instantly recognized how special Amico was because of the quickness she displayed in the gym and was confident Amico would have a spot with the Hornets. She was “really, really fast,” Tuck said.

“We knew she was ready to play lacrosse in college when she was defending some of the top kids in the country,” Tuck said. “She held her own and did great.”

After the 2020 season was canceled due to the coronavirus, Amico had to figure out how to keep her skills sharp while in quarantine. She wasn’t able to train for lacrosse until June because of New York state’s regulations preventing gyms from reopening. The team hosted Zoom meetings throughout the spring to stay on the same page and held a socially distanced senior-night ceremony.  

When the state restrictions were lifted, she attended almost all of Fayetteville-Manlius’ clinics and got back into the rhythm of playing lacrosse. Though she didn’t lose a step on her competition, the clinics that she attended — and still attends — were very casual and were open to any F-M player.

They worked on skill development, stick skills and shooting. But for Amico, just getting “a stick in my hands” after many months felt good, she said. 

Subscribe to the D.O. Sports Newsletter

Want the latest in Syracuse sports delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the D.O. Sports newsletter to read our best sports articles, sent to you every Friday morning.

* indicates required

This season, the Hornets will turn to Amico to play a larger leadership role. With only six returning players, quickly establishing team chemistry will be crucial. 

“She’s really stepping up as a leader now when we haven’t had a formal season, and I cannot wait to see her as a senior, leading our defense as that role player,” Tuck said.

Coleman, who plays the same three sports as Amico, turns to the senior for guidance. Though Coleman is an attack and Amico is one of the state’s top defenders, according to Tuck, Amico still teaches Coleman. 

“We’re really close off the field, but lacrosse has always been her main sport,” Coleman said. “It’s always been fun learning from her.”

Though there’s still uncertainty regarding whether a New York lacrosse state championship will take place in 2021, Amico, who’s been playing lacrosse since she was 5-years old, will be ready. Fueled by two consecutive losses in states, Amico will look to bring Fayetteville-Manlius to its first championship in 15 years.

“Kat can do anything she sets her mind to,” Tuck said.