alumni newsletter

After a decade of service, alum Dave Levinthal steps down from Daily Orange Board of Directors

Dave Levinthal signs the wall at 744 Ostrom Ave. during the alumni goodbye celebration last fall in Syracuse.

There’s a new way to support The Daily Orange: Sign up to become a member today and know your gift will help to sustain our work for years to come.

Every May, Dave Levinthal crafts a handwritten letter. The notes, written in all uppercase, are in recognition of extraordinary feats.

Levinthal takes the time to write to the outgoing editor-in-chief of The Daily Orange to thank them for a year of long nights, critical decisions and keeping tradition alive.

“It was just nice to see a thank you, honestly,” Sam Ogozalek (’20), 2018-19 editor-in-chief, said. “Some of the stuff you do as management really blows. (His letters) were a pick-up of the day.”

Levinthal (’02) knows what editors go through. Twenty years ago, he was the one in charge of overseeing The D.O. Today, he is a senior Washington correspondent at Business Insider, a position he recently took after seven years as a reporter and editor at the Center for Public Integrity. 

Despite his busy schedule, Levinthal remained deeply committed to his college newspaper by serving on The D.O.’s board of directors, which guides the organization’s financial and strategic decisions. Now, after nearly a decade, Levinthal is stepping back from the board. 

September marks the first month in which Levinthal has not served on the board since 2011. During his tenure, he has helped students work through three general managers, numerous cuts to the paper’s print product and one seamless move from 744 Ostrom Ave. to 230 Euclid Ave.

“I want to be somebody who’s been in their shoes,” Levinthal said. “Who can lend an ear or an idea whenever they need it, but is not going to think that they know better, instead treats them as an equal.”

Levinthal began his tenure as editor-in-chief of The D.O. in 2000, days after Y2K. After the fall semester ended, Levinthal left Syracuse University for a job and later returned to complete his degree, graduating in 2002.

Even before joining the board in 2011, Levinthal acted as a mentor to several editors, including Stephen Dockery (’10). 

“He was a constant adviser and confidant for figuring out what the hell do I do,” said Dockery, who served as editor-in-chief from 2008-09 and recently joined the board. “He always continued with that role in my life. Like what do I do with my life? How do I go from here?”

Levinthal has tried, despite an age gap, to be available at all times to help the editor-in-chief. Sometimes those offers result in 3 a.m. texts, but that doesn’t bother him — he’s the kind of person who’s always willing to listen. 

Ogozalek gives Levinthal credit for stabilizing negotiations to move The D.O. to a new house in 2018 when they had “fallen through the crack.” Still, Ogozalek said, he is the type of person not afraid to kill a bad idea when necessary.

The D.O.’s move last year is one of Levinthal’s proudest accomplishments, he said, because it set future D.O.ers up for success. The other has been ensuring the organization is in good hands. Levinthal knew he wanted to leave the board after the move. He admits his term on the board lasted longer than he expected. 

Levinthal worked to find new members who would match his dedication. He spent years trying to recruit Dockery, who said those conversations with Levinthal were a big factor in his decision to join.

Just as he assisted editors like Dockery a decade ago, Levinthal has kept up the tradition. For Ogozalek and 2019-20 editor-in-chief Haley Robertson, those important talks came during visits to Washington, D.C., visits both said they still cherish.

“One of the great things he’s done as a board member is recognizing each management team’s individual challenges,” Robertson said. “He was always a call or text away, which we always needed.”

levinthal-embedpic

Levinthal (second from left) caught up with ex-D.O. staffers Stephen Dockery (left), Mara Corbett and Stacy Fernández during a visit to Texas a few years ago.

Even though Levinthal is leaving the board, he’s not relinquishing his role as The D.O.’s brand ambassador. On Twitter, it’s rare for him to go a week without mentioning The D.O., either encouraging support for its fundraising efforts or shouting out a story from a young writer.

Mark Cooper (’13), 2012-13 editor-in-chief and a current board member, said Levinthal’s institutional knowledge of the paper has helped the board run smoothly, and his support when Cooper was a student still stands out.

“When you did produce a big project or reach a big goal, he was always at the front of the line ready to celebrate with you,” Cooper said. 

Whether it be his patented handwritten letters, lengthy Twitter threads, or heartfelt tributes to the paper, most who have crossed paths with Levinthal are aware of his dedication to his college paper. Board member or not, his belief in the institution won’t go away. 

“I would like to think that five years from now The D.O. is going to be stronger,” Levinthal said. “It’s going to be healthier. It’s going to be more stable and even more ambitious than it is right now.”