SU places Sigma Chi under investigative status

Sarah Lee | Assistant Photo Editor

Sigma Chi is one of five fraternities to be places under investigative status this academic year.

Syracuse University’s chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity has been placed under investigative status.

The alleged misconduct resulting in the investigation is unclear. The university is unable to comment on active investigations, said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, in a statement.

Sigma Chi is the fifth fraternity SU placed under investigative status during the 2019-20 academic year.

The Phi Delta Theta and Lambda Chi Alpha fraternities were placed under investigation in February. SU also placed its chapters of the Zeta Beta Tau and Alpha Tau Omega fraternities under investigation status in October. The nature of the conduct violations prompting the investigations is unclear.

SU suspended ATO in December and placed ZBT on disciplinary and social probation in January. ZBT’s sanctions are effective through Dec. 31, 2020.

The university also suspended the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity in January. The fraternity was on social probation through February 2019 and disciplinary probation through October. The alleged misconduct resulting in the sanctions is also unclear.

SU’s chapter of the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity was suspended in November after members and guests allegedly shouted a racial slur at a Black woman near College Place. Chancellor Kent Syverud later said the university had placed four members of the fraternity on interim suspension for their involvement in the incident.

The fraternity is appealing its suspension, Scalese said in a statement Tuesday.