greek life

SU places Phi Delt, Lambda Chi on investigative status

Hieu Nguyen | Senior Staff Photographer

SU has placed four fraternities under investigative status during the 2019-2020 academic year.

Syracuse University has placed its chapters of the Phi Delta Theta and Lambda Chi Alpha fraternities under investigative status.

The alleged misconduct resulting in the investigations is unclear. The university doesn’t comment on Greek life chapters on investigative status to avoid compromising the investigation, said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, in a statement to The Daily Orange on Friday.

SU has placed four fraternities under investigative status during the 2019-2020 academic year, including Phi Delta Theta and Lambda Chi Alpha.

The Zeta Beta Tau and Alpha Tau Omega fraternities were placed under investigative status in October. ATO was suspended in December, and ZBT in January was placed on disciplinary and social probation through Dec. 31, 2020. The nature of the conduct violations resulting in the sanctions is unclear.

SU also suspended its chapter of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity in January. Phi Gamma Delta, or “Fiji,” was previously on social probation through February 2019 and disciplinary probation through October. The conduct violations that lead to Fiji’s suspension is also unclear.

The Alpha Chi Rho fraternity was suspended in November after members and guests of the fraternity shouted a racial slur at a Black woman near College Place. The fraternity is unable to operate on campus, and its university recognition will be determined after conduct proceedings, according to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs’ website.