On campus

SU expands multicultural learning communities

The Office of Learning Communities formed the multicultural learning community in response to demands and concerns from student groups.

Syracuse University has created an expanded multicultural learning community for sophomores, juniors and seniors.

SU’s Upperclass Multicultural Living Learning Community will open on the fifth floor of Ernie Davis Hall in fall 2020, according to an SU News release. Students in learning communities live together on residence hall floors based on common interests.

The Office of Learning Communities formed the multicultural learning community in response to demands and concerns from student groups, according to the release. Student surveys and in-person conversations were also considered.

The Black student-led movement #NotAgainSU called for expanded multicultural learning communities in its list of demands presented to Chancellor Kent Syverud in November. The movement formed after racist graffiti was found on multiple floors of Day Hall.

The upperclass learning community will focus on multicultural education and community building, according to the Office of Learning Communities’ website.

The Office of Learning Communities also expanded its indigenous, international and LGBTQ learning communities to be available to juniors and seniors, according to the release.