acts of hate

Racist graffiti found in SUNY-ESF dorm

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

SUNY-ESF's University Police have identified an alleged perpetrator and will immediately suspend the individual while the investigation continues.

Two instances of racist graffiti were found in SUNY-ESF’S Centennial Hall, the college announced Saturday.

The graffiti was written on whiteboards in the residence hall and posted to social media, SUNY-ESF Interim President David Amberg said in a statement. SUNY-ESF’s University Police have identified an alleged perpetrator and will immediately suspend the individual while the investigation continues, Amberg said.

Additional individuals found to be responsible for the racist vandalism will be subject to “serious consequences,” he said.

“Make no mistake our aggressive actions represent our zero tolerance for any incidents of hate to ensure our entire campus community can live, study and work in an inclusive and safe environment,” Amberg said in the statement.

SUNY-ESF’s campus is adjacent to Syracuse University. At least 25 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents have occurred at or near SU since Nov. 7.

A drawing that may have included a swastika was found in Centennial Hall on Dec. 5. The instances of racist graffiti found this weekend are the first confirmed bias-related incidents to occur at SUNY-ESF amid the series of hate crimes and bias-related incidents at or near SU.