Graduate student organization

Graduate school dean responds to concerns of student-adviser grievances

Hannah Ly | Staff Photographer

Senators debated for more than an hour about approving special programming funds for a social event the Newhouse Master’s Association is hosting.

Graduate School Dean Peter Vanable answered graduate students’ concerns about student-adviser conflicts during the Graduate Student Organization’s Wednesday meeting.

A senator asked Vanable to explain the Graduate School’s process for addressing grievances in academic relationships when a student fears retaliation from the faculty or department.

The Graduate School has not explicitly addressed the process, Vanable said. Students have resources on campus to resolve potential grievances, such as Syracuse University’s Office of the University Ombuds, he said.

“The first step is to try to resolve it with your mentor,” Vanable said. “Sometimes, that means taking a deep break and understanding that there may be differences in perspective. The next step I would advise is to talk to the director of your graduate program.”

Vanable said he understands students’ fears of making enemies in their departments or lowering their grades.

The graduate school recently launched a graduate faculty council tasked with creating a program to strengthen the relationship between research advisers and graduate students. Faculty members from each school and college serve on the council.

Vanable also announced funding for a summer dissertation fellowship. The program would fund 50 stipends to complete a master’s degree or Ph.D. dissertation during the summer. The $4,000 stipends are for people who are almost done writing their dissertation but are not in a financial position to complete it, Vanable said.

“If you’re in the ‘I’m almost done but not quite, and if I had funding, I can get it done,’ that is the funding stream that this is designed for,” Vanable said.

Senators debated for more than an hour about approving special programming funds for a social event the Newhouse Master’s Association is hosting. The senate originally approved $9,300 in funding for the event before debating whether it was the correct decision.

Some senators argued that the event, which involves dinner and a dance at The Westcott Theater, is too costly for being non-academic. A majority of the cost would go toward booking one night at The Westcott Theater.

Other senators said they are not willing to set a precedent of reverting special programming funding the senate already approved. Comptroller Yousr Dhaouadi said that the cost of booking the event was less than if the RSO held the event on campus.