Beat writers agree on Syracuse’s outcome against Georgia Tech

Elijah Hughes, pictured against Georgia Tech in 2019, scored 33 points in 34 minutes against the Yellow Jackets earlier this year.

Syracuse’s final opportunity at a marquee win came and went with a 24-point loss to No. 11 Louisville on Wednesday. On Saturday, Syracuse (14-12, 7-8 Atlantic Coast) faces a Georgia Tech (13-13, 7-8) team it scored 97 points on and defeated by more than 30 points over two months ago. Since, the Yellow Jackets lacked a marquee win until they knocked off Louisville, 64-58, on Feb. 12.

Here’s what our beat writers think will happen in Syracuse’s second-to-last home game of the 2020 season.

Nick Alvarez (18-8)
Tech-nical
Syracuse 83, Georgia Tech 61

This is one of the easier predictions of ACC play. Georgia Tech’s offense isn’t very good and Syracuse should tighten a few things up against a lesser opponent. Elijah Hughes seems primed for another scoring outburst, but the key here is the frontcourt. Marek Dolezaj and Bourama Sidibe are coming off a rough stretch. They need to avoid foul trouble, let alone fouling out. The Orange should be favored in their next five games en route to the NIT. Let’s start with a blowout. 

Michael McCleary (17-9)
Hit the road, Jack(et)
Syracuse 81, Georgia Tech 65

Remember that game earlier in the year when Syracuse played Georgia Tech? Yeah, that was a good one for SU. The Orange can perhaps use a few more good ones if they want to keep their tournament hopes alive. Maybe that’s not even enough, but it’s a start at the very least. Syracuse is a better team than Georgia Tech. And this is when the Orange will need to start a run that ends perhaps in the finals of the ACC Tournament. Simply to have a chance.

Josh Schafer (18-8)
Taking the sting away
Syracuse 86, Georgia Tech 67

Syracuse has struggled over the last month but that won’t continue Saturday. Syracuse lit up Georgia Tech earlier this year behind a strong performance from Hughes to start the game following a bad stretch for the Orange. Maybe it won’t be Hughes on Saturday, perhaps it’s Buddy Boeheim or Joe Girard III but someone will come out firing and take advantage of a lesser Georgia Tech team.