Alpha Chi Rho appeals suspension from SU

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

At least 30 racist, anti-Semitic and homophobic incidents have occurred at or near SU since early November.

Syracuse University’s chapter of the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity has appealed its suspension, a university spokesperson said Tuesday.

SU suspended the fraternity in November after members and guests shouted a racial slur at a Black woman at College Place. Chancellor Kent Syverud later said the university placed four members of the fraternity on interim suspension for their involvement in the incident.

The University Conduct Board suspended the fraternity after finding it responsible for the conduct of a guest during the incident, said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, in a statement.

greekorgsbanned2

Casey Darnell | Digital Editor

“The organization has appealed that ruling and the appeal process is ongoing,” Scalese said.

The university is unable to comment on the specific outcome of the conduct process involving the four members of Crow, Scalese said.

At least 30 racist, anti-Semitic and homophobic incidents have occurred at or near SU since early November, including the incident on College Place. Syverud said Monday that the university has identified and held three students accountable for acts of hate.

It is unclear whether the chancellor included the interim suspensions of the four fraternity members in his count of students found responsible for acts of hate. It is also unclear which of the 30 incidents the three students were involved in.

SU continues to investigate bias incidents and take action to address racist conduct on campus, Scalese said.