on campus

Syverud hosts dinner for students affected by Trump’s travel ban

The Trump administration could expand restrictions to include seven more countries as soon as next week.

Syracuse University will provide services and support to international students affected by the federal travel ban, Chancellor Kent Syverud said Friday.

President Donald Trump issued an executive order banning immigration from several Muslim-majority countries in 2017. Syverud has called the the travel ban and its revisions unconstitutional and illegal.

The president announced plans this week to expand restrictions on travel and immigration to include Belarus, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania. SU has students from all these countries except Sudan, Syverud said in a campus-wide email.

The Center for International Services will hire new faculty and increase monetary efforts to assist students through this difficult time, Syverud said. The chancellor made the announcement after hosting a dinner for international students this week with his wife Ruth.

International students may not see their homes or families for years under this travel ban, Syverud said. The chancellor asked the community to express support and solidarity for affected students.

“The travel ban is a hardship that poses great uncertainty,” Syverud said. “It is particularly important their Orange family shows caring support in these circumstances.”