SU to suspend any student who commits bias-related vandalism

Elizabeth Billman | Assistant Photo Editor

At least 23 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents have occurred at or near SU since Nov. 7.

Syracuse University will immediately suspend any student involved in acts of bias-related vandalism or graffiti, the university announced Wednesday. 

While hate crimes and bias-related acts are difficult to police, SU recognizes it must take action to ensure consequences, said Rob Hradsky, vice president for the student experience, in a campus-wide email.

Let me be clear: If you are someone inclined to spread hate, bigotry and fear on our campus, Syracuse University is not the place for you,” Hradsky said.

Students will have the opportunity to appeal the suspension but will be removed from campus until the case is cleared, Hradsky said. Students who witness, protect or know an individual who commits acts of bias-related vandalism will also be held accountable, he said. 

The email comes a day after racist graffiti targeting black and Asian students was found behind a vending machine in Day Hall. It is unclear on which floor the vandalism occurred. 

At least 23 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents have occurred at or near SU since Nov. 7. Day Hall has been the site of five additional incidents of racist graffiti, sparking black student-led movement #NotAgainSU. The movement held a sit-in at the Barnes Center at The Arch in protest of the incidents.

#NotAgainSU demanded that SU punish any accomplice, perpetrator or bystander involved in hate crimes and bias-related incidents in its list of 19 demands presented to Chancellor Kent Syverud in November. The demand is one of 16 Syverud signed as written. The chancellor suggested revisions to the remaining three. 

The Syracuse Police Department, New York State Police and FBI are still actively investigating the incidents, Hradsky said. 

Hradsky said he implores any student with any knowledge of the incidents to speak up.