State budget calls for hate crime punishment, cannabis legalization

Cuomo announced the $178 billion budget Tuesday.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a $178 billion budget and plans for a domestic terrorism law Tuesday.

New York state would be the first to adopt a Hate Crime Anti-Terrorism Act under Cuomo’s budget. The law would be the first in the nation to include mass violence motivated by hate, creating penalties of up to life in prison for offenders.

Cuomo referred to racist, bias-related and anti-Semitic incidents at Syracuse University in his State of the State address on Jan. 8, where he initially unveiled plans for the law. He called growing fear about diversity an “American cancer” in his speech.

At least 20 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents have occurred at or near SU since Nov. 7, sparking student protests. The state has also experienced a recent rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes, including an attack in a Monsey, New York rabbi’s home on Hanukkah.

“Let’s call what happened in Monsey, in Rockland County, what it is,” Cuomo said Tuesday. “It is domestic terrorism. You can be a domestic born and bred terrorist, and let’s have a law that addresses that and call it what it is.”

The budget also includes $2 million to support the State Police Hate Crimes Task Force. The money will support the task force’s ongoing work to “bolster the monitoring of digital media which promote violence, intolerance, selling of illicit substances and terrorism,” the plan reads.

The governor directed the task force to investigate racist graffiti found in Day Hall in November.

Creating an Office of Cannabis Management that would license recreational cannabis retailers is also included in Cuomo’s budget. Cuomo’s proposal allows adults over 21 to legally purchase cannabis and sets up packaging, labeling and advertising oversight.

The plan also calls for “social equity licensing opportunities” to address disparities between the entrepreneurs who often benefit from legalization and the communities that cannabis laws have most harshly affected.

“The proposal will also correct past harms to individuals and communities that have disproportionately been impacted by prohibition,” the budget reads.

Cuomo also proposed a Global Cannabis and Hemp Center for Science, Research and Education to work with SUNY and other research partners.

In his State of the State address, Cuomo said that legalizing cannabis in New York could bring in $300 million in tax revenues.

The budget also allocates $4.9 million to extend the State Fair to 18 days. Programming would be added to the fair, including a new motor show at the Expo Center and sensory-friendly days, the proposal said.

The fair would start five days earlier than usual and end on Labor Day, according to the New York State Fair Twitter account.