On campus

Special committee to visit SU for listening and dialogue sessions

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

The committee is set to release a report in early June with recommendations for new diversity and inclusion programs at SU.

The special committee jointly assessing Syracuse University’s campus climate, diversity and inclusion will visit the university in February for listening and dialogue sessions.

SU’s Board of Trustees formed the Special Committee on University Climate, Diversity and Inclusion last December. The committee was created in response to at least 23 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents that occurred at or near SU since early November.

Students, faculty and other members of the SU community will participate in the sessions, according to an SU News release. The sessions will inform the committee’s report on SU’s current diversity and inclusion policies, expected to be released in early June.

“We are confident in our commitment to assuring that Syracuse University will be a leader in providing a welcoming and inclusive community for all,” said Richard Alexander and Jeffrey Scruggs, co-leads of the committee, in the release.

The committee’s final report will include observations from an independent panel of non-SU affiliates created to oversee and advise the committee. The Independent Advisory Panel has met with leaders of diversity and inclusion on campus, according to the release.

The committee will continue to conduct further research in the coming semester in the form of surveys and continued listening sessions, according to the release.