Renegade Magazine establishes voice for black students on campus

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Julio Burgos (from left to right), Noor Dar, Dassy Kemedjio, Haniyah Philogene and Jalen Nash are members of Renegade Magazine.

Dassy Kemedjio always loved to write. Her father, a professor, had her reading and writing from a young age. Her mother would have her write poems in birthday cards.  

But when Kemedjio came to Syracuse University, she wanted to do more than the academic writings of her international relations and citizenship and civic engagement majors. Then, she found Renegade Magazine, and she felt connected to campus in more ways than one. 

“I always grew up in predominantly white suburbs,” Kemedjio said. “So, [Renegade] was more of a way to connect with my community and assert my identity a little bit more.” 

Renegade, which remains the first and only black general interest magazine at SU, began in 2014. Ibet Inyang, now a Newhouse alumna, pitched a story about natural hair for another campus publication. After the pitch was denied for being “too controversial,” Inyang set out to create a platform for black students to express themselves without the judgement.  

Renegade, the name of the magazine, literally means “an individual who rejects lawful or conventional behavior,” according to Merriam-Webster. Caitlin Easy, a senior and front of book editor, said the name drew her into joining the publication.  

“Renegade itself is like a rebel in society, and someone who’s willing to pursue creative endeavors,” Easy said. “They’re not afraid to be bold and not afraid to show the world what they have to give. So, that whole concept, I just loved it.” 

Jalen Nash, a senior, describes his involvement with Renegade Magazine as serendipitous. He says he spent a lot of time his junior year searching for ways to change the conversation around his community. 

“I was looking for ways to make an impact because the community I am a part of on campus is underrepresented and underresourced,” Nash said.  

Like Kemedjio, he found Renegade as a way to amplify the voice of him and his peers. Yet, the publication would become the center of the community after publishing reports and stories about hate crimes on campus last semester.  

Last semester, racist and anti-Semitic incidents plagued the Syracuse University campus. After the incidents started, members of Renegade Magazine’s executive board and general body wanted to take control of the narrative surrounding racist and anti-Semitic hate crimes on campus. Nash, who is co-editor-in-chief along with Blake Duncanson, said that after previous racial incidents on campus, Renegade wanted to make sure the perspectives and opinions of its community were seen.   

When #NotAgainSU happened, all of Renegade felt a responsibility to kind of control our narrative and really get the story out the way it’s happening to us, Nash said. 

In an Instagram post, Renegade broke the news of racial slurs written in the bathrooms of the fourth and sixth floors of Day Hall. From there, Renegade utilized its social media platforms to spread information and student perspectives during the weeks of protest and conversation.   

#NotAgainSU, a black student-led movement, occupied the Barnes Center at The Arch for eight days. The group was protesting the university’s handling of the situation. As the protest progressed, Renegade Magazine and its members were there, following the movement.  

“In general, our mission is to always basically to tell the truth, you know, keep it real,” Easy said. “What we choose to report, we report for the people.” 

As web editor, Kemedjio said that the publication has been trying to grow its online presence. During the protests, Renegade Magazine used social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter to document events as they unfolded.  

“We all kind of pitched in in our own way,” Kemedjio said. “It was interesting being in the media, but also being the subject as well.” 

This semester, members of the e-board are hoping that people can take time to feel good about themselves. This Saturday, the publication will host Reneprom, a prom-themed celebration in honor of its fall 2019 issue, “The Feel Good Issue.”   

After its “Toxicity Issue” in spring 2019, Nash said the e-board wanted to create a magazine that would uplift its readers. The issue aims to highlight creativity and self-expression, according to an Instagram post from the magazine.  

“We wanted to host a launch party that captured the essence of our theme and really showcase what we’re trying to do with the community,” Nash said 

The prom theme is meant to remind students of what some deem as the best times of their lives. According Renegade’s Instagram, Reneprom is “a celebration of our Black culture on campus.”  

Performances by student organizations and artists include Aidan Ochre, Gianni, Lloyd Ansah and Chelly. DJ Shy Guy will also be DJing the event. It’s for the Culture, an SU student-run take-out business that specializes in Caribbean food, will be catering the event.  

While tickets are sold out for Reneprom, members of Renegade said they’re planning more events throughout the semester.  

“We just have a lot of people that understand the passion and the creativity it takes to be a part of Renegade,” Easy said. “I just think that the history of Renegade and its legacy will definitely continue to flourish.”