on campus

Missing SU student found dead

Courtesy of the Syracuse Police Department

Allan Gonzalez accidentally fell into Onondaga Creek on Jan. 19, according to SPD.

Allan Gonzalez, a Syracuse University student, was found dead, a university official confirmed Thursday.

Gonzalez, a senior in the College of Engineering and Computer Science, accidentally fell into Onondaga Creek in downtown Syracuse on Jan. 19. Gonzalez was reported missing Jan. 21.

Law enforcement recovered Gonzalez’s body after an exhaustive search, Dean of Students Marianne Thomson said in a campus-wide email. The Syracuse Police Department announced earlier Thursday that it believes to have found Gonzalez’s body submerged in Onondaga Creek near the Interstate 690 bridge.  

“I join Chancellor Kent Syverud and our entire Orange family in extending deepest sympathies and condolences to Allan’s family, friends, loved ones and all who knew him during this difficult time,” Thomson said.

The Syracuse Fire Department, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police have assisted in SPD’s search for Gonzalez. The State Police Dive Team recovered the body with sonar technology.

Gonzalez will be honored during SU’s Service of Commemoration, held March 10 in Hendricks Chapel. The service memorializes members of the university community who died over the past year.