on campus

NVRC grand opening set for April

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

The completed NVRC will consolidate SU’s military and veteran-related services and will act as a hub for local and regional veteran communities.

UPDATED: Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.

Syracuse University’s National Veterans Resource Center is set to host a grand opening April 17. 

Mike Haynie, SU’s vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation, made the announcement Tuesday morning on Twitter. The $62.5 million center is slated to open in January 2020. 

The completed NVRC will consolidate SU’s military and veteran-related services and will act as a hub for local and regional veteran communities. The center will feature a 3,700 square foot event space and will house the university’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families and Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

Plans for the NVRC’s construction were announced in 2015, and construction on the center began in 2018. University officials in 2017 expected the center to open by spring or summer 2019. 

Building construction on the center was close to completion in December, said Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, in a campus-wide construction update that month. The NVRC’s occupants will begin to move into the center in January, Sala said.

The NVRC project is part of the university’s Campus Framework Plan, a 20-year guide outlining campus infrastructure development. The plan works alongside SU’s Academic Strategic Plan, which aims to strengthen the university’s commitment to veterans and military-connected students as part of its academic priorities.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the date that the NVRC was opening was misstated. The Daily Orange regrets this error.