Longtime Syracuse assistant steps down from Syracuse lacrosse

Kevin Donahue's offensive coordinator job went to Pat March, who the Orange hired away from Princeton.

Kevin Donahue, who had been with the Orange men’s lacrosse team for over three decades, has stepped down from his position as volunteer assistant coach, according to a Syracuse.com article published Tuesday afternoon.

In August, Donahue retired from full-time coaching and transitioned to a volunteer role. But on Tuesday, he told Syracuse.com he “found (himself) mentally going in another direction.”

Donahue was the 2001 Jay Gallagher Award winner as the nation’s top Division 1 assistant and was later inducted into the Upstate New York chapter of the Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

“His impact on this program has been immeasurable and I wish him nothing but the best,” head coach John Desko said in a statement according to Syracuse.com.

In the early fall, Donahue was replaced by former Princeton coach Pat March. March’s hiring was the first major coaching change for the Orange since Lelan Rogers was brought in, in 2007.

Princeton’s attack greatly improved under March, finishing third (2018) and second (2017) in Division 1 scoring offense. After bringing in Chase Scanlan on a transfer from Loyola and returning redshirt sophomore Tucker Dordevic, who missed all of 2018 with a foot injury, expectations are high for the Orange attack. March said he couldn’t cap the Orange’s scoring potential.

“I’m not trying to prove anything,” March said. “I’m just trying to do the best job I can do.”