Gender & Sexuality

Co-ed frats provide good alternative to gender-exclusive Greek life

Sarah Lee | Contributing Photographer

The words “Greek life” often conjure up images of fraternity brothers and sorority sisters. In this system, people are split into two groups based on their gender. While many people enjoy life in a same-gender fraternity or sorority, gender-inclusive Greek organizations focus on shared interests rather than gender.

Gender-inclusive fraternities can be an alternative selection for those interested in Greek life but who do not want to define their social group by gender, or simply want to open themselves to a variety of perspectives and experiences.

“I wanted to be something bigger than myself after coming back from studying abroad, and so an organization that was really accepting like a co-ed professional fraternity was a perfect opportunity for that,” said senior Megan Contri, who is a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a community service-focused professional fraternity.

One reason students have chosen to join gender-inclusive fraternities is the increased diversity of thoughts and perspectives they offer.

“I want a mix of people and ideas, and I think that makes it fun. It avoids herd mentality,” said Ricky Tibbets, a senior at Syracuse University and a member of the national honors fraternity Phi Sigma Pi.

There are six total gender-inclusive fraternities at Syracuse University, which focus on different professional and service interests.

While gender distribution between professional frats may vary, the presence of gender equality within these social groups is beneficial to gaining varied perspectives and potentially limiting the kind of mob mentality that can contribute to hazing and other harmful practices. It gives all members the potential to have their voices heard and can help reduce the feeling of gender stereotypes.

“I just think there’s a lot less pressure on stereotypes when it comes to gender,” said Contri. “Being in a gender-inclusive fraternity, it’s more inviting.”

However, members of gender-inclusive frats can also face judgment for not participating in traditional social Greek organizations.

“I think there’s a stigma of ‘why aren’t you going to the big, more stereotypically masculine social fraternities?” Tibbets said. “So there’s a fear of well, am I going to be judged? Am I going to be seen as weak, emasculated?” he said. “I would bet that factors into a lot of men’s decisions subconsciously of why they wouldn’t join.”

One aspect of gender-inclusive fraternities that can help promote gender equality is that they do not exist according to the gender binary. The system relies not on shared gender, but on shared interests.

“You get to interact with people from all across campus, from different majors, different genders,” said Phi Sigma Pi’s president, Michael Dinardo, a senior at Syracuse University. “It just creates this very welcoming environment.”

Professional fraternities can help students adjust early to the working world through interacting and collaborating with people who may be different from them. This can be good practice for life after college when people will need to build strong working and friendly relationships with others regardless of their gender.

“I joined Phi Alpha Delta because I wanted to be in an environment where I could learn about law and be near people who were interested in the same profession as me,” said freshman Daamiya Mir. Phi Alpha Delta is a professional law fraternity.

Splitting social groups on the basis of gender lends to the idea that men and women are unequal or cannot come to understandings with one another. When people are split on the basis of gender, it limits the potential to collaborate with one another and hear perspectives from people whose experience may differ from one’s own.

Social groups like gender-neutral fraternities create the opportunity for people regardless of gender to come together, bond over a common interest and learn about people whose perspectives may differ from their own.

Mallory Stokker is a junior magazine journalism major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected]. She can be followed on Twitter @_malloryyrose_