SU alumni react to racial bias, threats

Photo collage by Corey Henry

Syracuse University alumni reflect how they will donate their money to the university when students feel unsafe.

Gene Goldstein never walked across a stage to graduate from Syracuse University. Instead, he spent his last days at SU barricading the pathways of the Quad and setting desks on fire. It was later in the summer of 1970 that he received his diploma in the mail.

The recent sit-in at the Barnes Center at The Arch felt foreign to him, Goldstein said, as the protests he joined during his college days were anti-war focused. But he finds similarities to how the student protesters feel, even 50 years later.

“We really got some problems up there, really some problems,” Goldstein said.

At least 16 racist and bias-related incidents have been reported on or near the SU campus since Nov. 7. Alumni like Goldstein want SU to actively create a more inclusive campus.

Some ways alumni have shown their support for the #NotAgainSU movement include withholding donations to the university until the demands are met. Bee Poshek, who also graduated last year, said they won’t be donating money to SU unless it’s through centers like the LGBT Resource Center or the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

As a recent grad, Poshek still has friends at SU and has heard their concerns regarding the recent bias-related incidents. They said during their time at SU, they saw the cycle of protest and inaction and wants the cycle to be broken by the university. Poshek said they hope the demands of the students are met swiftly by putting the effort and funding into programs that help minority groups.

“SU says, ‘We’re listening; we hear you; we care,’ but we don’t see actual transformative change or money being allocated toward making those demands happen,” Poshek said.

A recent graduate, Alex Gates, said she has no desire to donate, and she’s critical about how SU continued to host fundraising events while racial-bias incidents continued throughout the week.

She said she was particularly upset when Syverud went to an alumni event in Rochester as the protest was happening on SU’s campus. She said she doesn’t understand why the university focuses on funding initiatives over the concerns of the student body.

“These are the people who are going to be alumni someday. Don’t you want to help them while they’re on the campus rather than blowing it off and say, ‘it’s no big deal,’” Gates said.

As an SU alum and university employee, Micah Fialka-Feldman said he was proud to be on campus and supporting protesters at the sit-in. The teaching assistant at the School of Education said he believes the SU administration should meet the demands of students.

Joe Mastoloni II, a graduate of the Class of 2015, said he was disturbed by the recent events on campus and feels the university has not done enough to protect students. His cousin, Benjamin Mastoloni, an SU freshman that currently lives in Day Hall, has said students are afraid of going to class.

Sean Keefe, a graduate of the Class of 2013 who was on the university’s track and field team, said he encourages student athletes to speak up. He also said the power of whether or not to donate can influence the direction of the campus.

Dr. Ayanna Abrams, a psychologist and 2006 graduate, said SU needs to have a continuous conversation when it comes to issues regarding race. She adds while physical safety is prioritized in campus discussions, emotional safety also needs to be considered.

While SU accepts monetary donations, other forms of donations like offering alumni’s experience could be beneficial, Abrams said, particularly between students of color and alumni.

“Providing resources to any student services office or any office that provides money or care to students, I think is important,” Abrams said. She added that if the counseling center has a dedicated approach in aiding students in times of crisis, that too could be beneficial.

Dr. and Rev. Leslie Copeland-Tune said during her time in SU in the late ‘90s, there was a lot of racial tension and also a protest led by black students. She said she experienced racism in ways she hadn’t before, referencing people calling her the N-word at SU. But despite the incidents, she doesn’t regret going to SU.

She said the national tension around race and racism has fostered the appearance of incidents like a swastika etched in snow. Copeland-Tune said alumni are going to talk further on whether or not to donate to SU at her 30-year reunion in 2020.

Copeland-Tune said she will continue to donate to aid student expenses, but hopes SU is aware of alumni’s power.

“We can’t write a million-dollar check but we certainly have an influence. I am trusting (SU is) hearing alumni voices with equal weight,” Copeland-Tune said. She added that Syverud signing #NotAgainSU’s demands it’s a first step forward, but SU must be intentional with its decision-making.

“The hard work is starting now,” Copeland-Tune said. “I know what it’s like to walk on that campus and think, ‘Am I going to be okay?’”