Takeaways from Syracuse’s first win of season over Colgate

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Joe Girard III scored five points in the Orange's 70-54 win against Colgate.

Syracuse (1-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) defeated Colgate (1-2) 70-54 in the Carrier Dome on Wednesday night. Buddy Boeheim led the Orange in scoring with 17 points while Bourama Sidibe added 12 points and 14 rebounds.  

Below are three takeaways from the Orange’s first win of the season. 

Offense! 

After stumbling through its worst offensive performance since Word War II, Syracuse’s offense had life against the Raiders. The production came from everywhere, including near the hoop and beyond and the arc. Syracuse often set picks on the ball dribbler’s defender and off-ball screens opened up other opportunities. 

With a few set plays to help the offense move, Syraucse looked more like the offense it talked about after the Virginia game than it played like during it. Three Orange players scored double-digits while Hughes dished eight assists. 

In its simplest form, the Orange just shot better than it did against the Cavaliers. SU shot 50.9% from the field including 7-of-17 from beyond the arc. It helped that looks were often more open. Quick passing moved the Raiders’ defenders out of position. Unlike against Virginia, which limited Syraucse’s ability to drive through packing its defense in near the paint, Syracuse guards attacked the basket. In some instances they sank contested layups but also used the drives as a way to create open space for shooters.

Another big night for Sidibe against Colgate

Sidibe registered his lone double-double of last season against Colgate. On Wednesday, he registered his first of the 2019-20 season. Syracuse’s center owned the boards along with Marek Dolezaj (six rebounds). 

With the Raiders tallest player who saw consistent minutes matching Sidibe’s height of 6-foot-10 inches, the Mali native had a clear wingspan advantage. Sidibe’s boards often came off tipped balls to himself where he’d reach above another player and tap the ball to space so he could fully grasp it. 

On offense, Colgate left Sidibe open. As Orange players drove to the hoop, the player covering Sidibe often slid to the ball carrier quick, leaving time for a dump off to Sidibe standing beside the hoop. He sank several layups from that spot and also finished put back opportunities following missed Syracuse shots. 

Carey out, Girard in? 

Through two games Syracuse has had the same starting point guard, Jalen Carey, but that hasn’t meant much after tip. Boeheim yanked Carey early in the first half and he’d finish with five minutes of playing time. 

Joe Girard III subbed in for Carey. On Giarard’s first possession he and Hughes fumbled a transaction as Hughes threw the ball to a spot he hoped Girard would be cutting but instead the ball went out of bounds. The freshman settled in, though, including a string of plays in the second half. On the first, he sank a catch-and-shoot 3-pointer. On the next possession he caught the ball on the fast break and dished an alley-oop to Sidibe. Girard flexed and screamed as the crowd cheered the Orange prior to a Colgate timeout. 

Girard and Hughes, who also handles the ball up top at times, seemed to create more off their dribble than Carey had early in the game. After one play when Hughes drove, drew multiple defenders and sent the ball out for a Buddy 3-pointer, Boeheim marched straight to Carey and pointed to the court. 

Fellow freshman Brycen Goodine spelled Girard late in both halves and finished with 16 minutes played.