november hate crimes

Sen. Kamala Harris tweets in support of #NotAgainSU

Anya Wijeweera | Staff Photographer

In her tweet, Harris used #NotAgainSU, the name of the group occupying the Barnes Center at The Arch.

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris voiced her support for #NotAgainSU protesters at Syracuse University in a tweet Wednesday afternoon. 

Harris, a U.S. Senator from California, included the protesters’ hashtag in her tweet. #NotAgainSU has held a sit-in at the Barnes Center at The Arch for a week in response to SU’s delayed communication of racial slurs found in a dorm building.

Syracuse’s faculty and staff must listen to students protesting for more counselors and a safe and inclusive learning environment free from hate,” Harris said. “When young people stand together, change can happen.”

There have been at least 12 hate crimes and bias-related incidents reported on or near campus since Nov. 7 that have targeted black, Asian and Jewish people. 

Harris is the second presidential candidate to speak out about the incidents at SU. Joe Biden, former vice president and a graduate of SU’s College of Law, also condemned the acts Wednesday morning. He tweeted that he was “deeply disturbed” by the recent hate crimes. 

“We are truly in a battle for the soul of this nation, and it requires all of us to stand up together as a country against racism and bigotry,” Biden said on Twitter. “We must give hate no safe harbor.