November Hate Crimes

Joe Biden ‘deeply disturbed’ by hate crimes, bias incidents at Syracuse University

Biden graduated from SU’s College of Law in 1968.

Former Vice President and Syracuse University alumnus Joe Biden said he was “deeply disturbed” by reports of hate crimes and bias-related incidents happening at SU in a social media post on Wednesday. 

Biden is currently a candidate for the 2020 presidential elections. He graduated from SU’s College of Law in 1968.

“We are truly in a battle for the soul of this nation, and it requires all of us to stand up together as a country against racism and bigotry,” Biden said on Twitter. “We must give hate no safe harbor.”

At least 12 hate crimes and bias-related incidents have been reported to SU’s Department of Public Safety since Nov. 7. The incidents prompted several local, state and federal lawmakers to speak out, including Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh, Rep. John Katko and Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer, of New York.

On Tuesday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo criticized Chancellor Kent Syverud’s response to the recent hate crimes and bias-related incidents.

“Despite his efforts, I do not believe Chancellor Syverud has handled this matter in a way that instills confidence,” Cuomo said.

#NotAgainSU, a movement led by black students, has occupied the lobby of the Barnes Center at The Arch since 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday. The sit-in was motivated by SU’s delayed communication of racist graffiti against black and Asian people found in Day.

Since then, at least 12 hate crimes or bias-related incidents have been reported on or near SU’s campus to the Department of Public Safety. On early Tuesday morning, a white supremacist manifesto was allegedly airdropped to several students’ cellphones in Bird Library. A link to the document was also posted in a Greekrank.com forum at 10:34 p.m. Monday.

Some professors and departments canceled classes due to widespread fear about student safety. Numerous events were also canceled or postponed. The Syracuse Police Department and DPS have repeatedly said there was and is no direct threat to the campus or city.