November Hate Crimes

Cuomo criticizes Syverud’s handling of hate crimes, bias-related incidents

Cuomo in his Tuesday statement urged SU’s Board of Trustees to bring in an “experienced monitor” to help the state investigate the incidents.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo criticized Chancellor Kent Syverud’s handling of recent hate crimes and bias-related incidents at Syracuse University in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.  

Cuomo directed the state’s Hate Crimes Task Force to expand their investigation to include recent reports of a white supremacist manifesto being allegedly airdropped to students in Bird Library. He also urged SU’s Board of Trustees to bring in an “experienced monitor” to help the state investigate the incidents.

“Despite his efforts, I do not believe Chancellor Syverud has handled this matter in a way that instills confidence,” Cuomo said.

Cuomo deployed the Hate Crime Task Force on Nov. 11 to investigate racist graffiti found in Day Hall. He also held a press conference at the Syracuse Hancock International Airport on Nov. 12 where he condemned the graffiti.

“As we have learned repeatedly, these increasing exhibitions of hate and bigotry must be handled strongly, swiftly and justly,” Cuomo said in the Tuesday statement. “That must be both the reality and the perception. Syracuse University and tis leadership have failed to do that. It is your obligation to remedy the situation immediately.”

#notagainsu, a movement led by black students, has occupied the lobby of the Barnes Center at The Arch since 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday. The sit-in was motivated by SU’s delayed communication of racist graffiti against black and Asian people found in Day.

Since then, at least 12 hate crimes or bias-related incidents have been reported on or near SU’s campus to the Department of Public Safety. On early Tuesday morning, a white supremacist manifesto was allegedly airdropped to several students’ cellphones in Bird. 

“The hateful activities at Syracuse University are most disturbing, not only to the Syracuse University community, but to the greater community of New York,” Cuomo said. “They have not been handled in a manner that reflects the state’s aggressive opposition to such odious, reckless, reprehensible behavior.”