November Hate Crimes

Community members, organizations donate food to #NotAgainSU movement

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Linda Brown-Robinson, president of the Syracuse/Onondaga County Chapter of the NAACP, spoke at the sit-in on Sunday night.

When Adia Santos opened a GoFundMe page for the #NotAgainSU movement, she did so for student protesters to buy food and supplies.  

But, because of other donations, the money raised through the GoFundMe has yet to be used as of Sunday night, Santos said. 

Santos, an organizer and activist for #NotAgainSU, created the GoFundMe page to support those who have been sitting at the Barnes Center at the Arch since 10 a.m. Wednesday.  

Since the #NotAgainSU sit-in started, protesters have been receiving food and hygiene products from various groups at SU and the local Syracuse community. Santos said that, at first, the donations they received were mostly junk food and pizza. While the group was content in receiving those donations, Santos said they needed more meals.  

“I just think it’s really great that everyone came here and honestly felt inclined to contribute,” Santos said. “It’s really helping and it’d be really difficult to try to be in here all day without food.” 

Now, they have a “solid,” three meals a day, Santos said. The food options vary, but include salads, sandwiches and different baked dishes. They have also been receiving vegan and gluten free food. #NotAgainSU organizers said they were in need of more food for people with dietary restrictions, though. 

a1_embed_111719_sitindonations_coreyhenry_pe_16

As of Sunday night #NotAgainSU announced on Instagram that the group has enough food donations and will keep people updated. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Theresa Stowell, president of Vegan CNY, said people from the organization have been cooking vegan dishes for the sit-in such as chickpea scramble, vegetables, jambalaya and lasagna. Stowell also said the group reached out to restaurants in Syracuse to see if they would be interested in donating food. They reached out to Strong Hearts Cafe, King David’s, Alto Cinco and PMA Foods, she said. 

As an organization, Vegan CNY tries to support social justice moments, so the #NotAgainSU movement was something they wanted to support, Stowell said. 

“We just believe that compassion for all extends to everyone, it doesn’t just extend to farm animals,” Stowell said. “All of these struggles kind of have the same thread. Oppression is universal and we believe that it’s our duty to stand up for anybody that needs help, whatever it is.” 

As of Sunday night, the GoFundMe page had raised $8,260, just over its goal of $8,000. Santos said that, while they haven’t used it yet, if #NotAgainSU needs to it will go into the funds to buy resources. And, if that happens, the movement will issue a statement about what protesters will be using the money and what it will be going toward.  

She said that #NotAgainSU has been meticulous about where the money is because they don’t want it to get “out of hand” or for anyone to have unlimited access to it. Santos said that they’re being as transparent as possible to everyone in the space. 

Other organizations have been providing food and resources, as well as speaking to those at the sit-in. 

Around 6:20 p.m. on Sunday, the Syracuse/Onondaga County Chapter of the NAACP came to the sit-in. Linda Brown-Robinson, president of the chapter, spoke to the students, along with Bea González, SU’s vice president for community engagement and special assistant to the chancellor. 

The members brought food and spoke with the students to show solidarity. 

Brown-Robinson said the group decided to help because, as a group, they “get out and give back.” And she said that, for college-age students, money is not always the “biggest commodity.” She said she wouldn’t let the movement move without the Syracuse NAACP.  

“We will support you, we’re not going to be for violence, but we are going to be standing up for your rights,” Brown-Robinson said, “And that’s why I think they’re doing a great thing by doing this and getting the word out. And if takes forever to do that, it takes forever to do that.” 

Najee Rahmen, a first year master’s of business administration student at SU and a member of the NAACP, said he had been attending the protests and also saw the students were in need of more food that accommodates people with dietary restrictions. So, he said they decided to bring some sandwiches with meat and some without, as well as cases of water and snacks. 

Chris Williams, treasurer for the chapter, who approved all of the chapter’s spending on the food, said it was a “no-brainer” for them to support an initiative such as this one. He said that it was “right in line” with what they’ve been fighting for all along as an organization. 

#notagainsu Updated List of Immediate Needs for the Student Protesters at the Barnes Center, “The Arch” (Archibald Gym)
1. They need real food – something other than pizza, spaghetti, or pasta.
2. They need faculty willing to hang around this evening and/or stay overnight because some students feel unsafe with the plain clothes DPS officers there and no faculty or leadership there. The concern is that officers are hanging around, talking to students, and gathering information to use for potential repercussions. The building closes at 1a.m.and does not reopen until 10 a.m. tomorrow. You can leave after 1am but you cannot enter. It’s particularly important for white, tenured faculty to step up!
3. They need food in the morning when the building opens as they will not have food because the building will be closed over night.
4. They asked for lots if water as they will not have access to any space other than the lobby after 1a.m.
This list came from faculty who are assisting the protesters.

A photo posted by vegancny

Rahmen said he felt it was important that the students came together and said it was great how powerful the students were able to be when they came together. 

“We should never turn a blind eye, we should always have each other’s back,” Rahmen said. “And when we come together as a group, no matter if you’re black, white, Hispanic, Asian, we’re powerful as a team.” 

On Sunday, Syracuse Hillel also donated food to the sit-in and encouraged its members, via email, to attend the sit-in and bring food as well.   

Emily Simens, a senior in the School of Information Studies and a community engagement intern for Hillel, said the group also heard that there was a need for gluten-free and vegetarian options, so they decided to provide those options. She said they brought wraps, salad and some snacks as well as leftover food from their Shabbat dinner on Friday night.  

Simens said she thinks it’s important for the Hillel community to come together and show support for other groups on campus.  

“It’s important for us to learn about other people’s issues as well as come together as a community and figure out what our needs are,” Simens said. “I think it’s great that all these different groups are coming together for the cause.”