Field Hockey

Charlotte de Vries, Carolin Hoffmann named to All-ACC 1st team

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Charlotte de Vries (above) leads Syracuse with 15 goals on the season.

Freshman Charlotte de Vries and junior Carolin Hoffmann were named to the 2019 All-ACC field hockey first team. de Vries led the Orange with 15 goals while Hoffmann tallied eight points (three goals, two assists). 

de Vries was also third in the ACC in goals, shots and shots on goal, behind only North Carolina sophomore and two-time ACC offensive player of the year Erin Matson and Boston College’s ACC freshman of the year Margo Carlin. de Vries also scored six game-winning goals, tied for first in the conference. 

The Pennsylvania native is still three goals shy of the Syracuse freshman record set by Martu Loncarica in 2008. While she’s been the focal point of the SU offense, de Vries has only scored two goals in the last seven games, perhaps due to playing three top-five opponents and six ranked opponents over that span. Teams often double-team and face-guard de Vries.  

Hoffmann, after tallying the game-tying and game-winning goals against No. 6 Louisville on Saturday, was named the ACC offensive player of the week on Tuesday. The German-born midfielder has rebounded from only tallying one goal last year as Syracuse missed the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2007.

No. 12 Syracuse (12-5, 3-3 Atlantic Coast) opens up the ACC tournament with a rematch against Louisville on Thursday at 12 p.m. The Orange have won their last four games, including a 1-0 victory over No. 3 Connecticut on Oct. 20.